Spokes always loosen up

On my 2007 250F, the spokes on my rear wheel loosen after every ride. One or two get so loose that I can free hand spin them snug before I use a wrench. Is this normal? I never had this problem with previous bikes, but this is my first race four stroke. For a long time I had no idea why, but I now think that the stock hub is at fault. I think the spoke holes are stretching out, causing the spokes to become loose. Is this true? Can the spokes wear out a hub? There are several spokes that are stuck and rotating the nipples just torques the spokes without tightening. The rim has now cracked and basically the whole rear wheel is just a mess. I am going to replace the whole wheel with a used spare I have, but I would like to know how I can prevent this from happening again.

Update 1: Added some images.
001_small.jpg

002_small.jpg

003_small.jpg

Edited by MotoX86

Tightening the spokes that are getting 'loose' is not the solution. The spokes that are damaged are letting the wheel get out of true and thereby making other spokes appear like they are loosening. You need to replace the spokes, properly tighten them and possibly replace the rim. Continued riding like it is will result in a wheel failuer and possibly ruin the hub. Pay a little now or a lot later.

Man, that sounds scary.  I would replace the whole assembly.  And I'm not made of money either.  I bought the G-Force Richter wheels package (front and rear, hubs, rims, laces, ready to ride) from Rocky Mountain and am thoroughly impressed, especially for $500.  But, it seams that you know that you have a big problem.  Just dont continue to ride it and hurt yourself.  You wheel will fall apart at exactly the worst time.  Interested to learn what the problem is......

I had the same problem with my YZ this year.  I replaced he spokes and its fine now.

Spokes should do it.. All that weight hanging from those loose spokes just amplifies the problem. Your hub hangs from the top of the rim, loose spokes damage the opposite side really quickly. I like to check mine when I check air pressure, that's every ride. Possible they make them that way, so owners are forced to keep the true? Doubt it, replace em 1 at a time to avoid confusion. It's easy.

Man, that sounds scary.  I would replace the whole assembly.  And I'm not made of money either.  I bought the G-Force Richter wheels package (front and rear, hubs, rims, laces, ready to ride) from Rocky Mountain and am thoroughly impressed, especially for $500.  But, it seams that you know that you have a big problem.  Just dont continue to ride it and hurt yourself.  You wheel will fall apart at exactly the worst time.  Interested to learn what the problem is......

+1 on the G-Force Richter package.  I had to go through the spokes after the first ride for normal routine on new wheel sets, but they were all in spec and have had no issues since I bought them.  Just don't ride on a cracked rim.  There is no reason to chance the rear wheel coming apart over a jump.

Cracked rim, just noticed you said that, I wouldn't ride it. Maybe you can have it welded?

I don't know if I should re-use my hub with a new spoke set and rim. The hub looks to be in the same condition as my other bikes which don't have any problems. The wheel is "true" even with the loose spokes and rim crack: Rim is slightly bent, but has no vertical or horizontal unbalances.

Also, my dad says I can continue to ride with the cracked rim after the spokes are fixed, since it has a steel core and is "not that bad."

I don't know if I should re-use my hub with a new spoke set and rim. The hub looks to be in the same condition as my other bikes which don't have any problems. The wheel is "true" even with the loose spokes and rim crack: Rim is slightly bent, but has no vertical or horizontal unbalances.

Also, my dad says I can continue to ride with the cracked rim after the spokes are fixed, since it has a steel core and is "not that bad."

Why would you go through the effort to replace all the spokes, lace and true the wheel with a damaged rim? Of all the things to skimp out on this would be the very last place to do so.

Why would you go through the effort to replace all the spokes, lace and true the wheel with a damaged rim? Of all the things to skimp out on this would be the very last place to do so.

Sorry for being confusing. Dad's plan is to replace only the locked / stuck spokes, use cracked rim, and current hub. I would like to hear if you guys agree/disagree. I don't want it to explode while riding...

My plan is to replace all spokes, lace, true with a good used spare rim and current hub. I am unsure if my idea would work because I don't know if my hub is bad (see photos).

Cracked rim okay to ride on?

Is my hub ruined and cause problems later?

Edited by MotoX86

If the holes aren't wallowed (even if they were, just a little) then the hub is probably good to go. The rim is junk.

Another option is to check on Ebay and craigslist. You might even be able to pick one up with a sprocket and brake rotor a decent tire $200 $300 tops. That's what im talking about. Most Yamahas have a lot of the same stuff on a lot of different years.