Sign in to follow this  

Marbles sounding on deceleration: any idea what it can be?

Hi All,

I just bought a 2009 DRZ400.  When I test drove it I didn't hear the sound, but when I got home I did.   Here is what happens; only on deceleration I hear what sounds like marbles coming from the left side of the engine.  This is the first DRZ I owned, so I'm not familiar with it as I am with my other bike.  Anyone have an idea what this could be, or is this normal for this kind of bike?  Thank you for your help!    

Is the noise coming from the right side of the engine?

On the right side of the engine, by the exhaust pipe there is a metal piece that stick out (Cam chain tensoner) Does it look something like this?

https://www.thumpertalk.com/shop/ThumperTalk-Manual-Cam-Chain-Tensioner-ENG-TT-MCCT1-p2006766344.html Does it have two 17mm nuts on it?

if so, the cam chain probably stretched alittle bit, you can tighten it up if so.

Only on the left side, and only on deceleration.  Also, on deceleration, when I pull in the clutch the sound goes away-when reengaging the clutch it starts again. 

Only on the left side, and only on deceleration.  Also, on deceleration, when I pull in the clutch the sound goes away-when reengaging the clutch it starts again. 

could be the chain slapping on the upper chain guide or swing arm.

I'll try that.  Start with the most simple solution.  Thank you for your input!  I'll let you know if it works.

Most likely the chain, mine did the same thing. Then I checked chain tension and cleaned/lubed it and the noise went away.

Thank you for the post; it worked!