Powder-coating rims and hubs?

Wondering how some black rims and blue hubs would come out on my '11 yz 125 if i get my rims and hubs powder-coated. Would i get that shiny blue anodized color i desire out of the hubs? And What would be the outcome of the black rims? Would love to hear everyones opinions $.02 on how they would come out. Thanks!

Too heavy, too expensive, and it'll look like shit after 3 rides.

TOTAL HORSESHIIIT!!!!!  Go for it!!!! I have pc hubs in yellow before, and have a pair getting done right now!   I don't know if I'd go after the anodized look on the hubs though???? That's 2 layers of pc needed to achieve that. First the silver/chrome, and then they get coated again with the candy while the parts are still hot, so the powder melts ontop of the silver. It would look good though.

Edited by 717 MOTORSPORTS

Wondering how some black rims and blue hubs would come out on my '11 yz 125 if i get my rims and hubs powder-coated. Would i get that shiny blue anodized color i desire out of the hubs? And What would be the outcome of the black rims? Would love to hear everyones opinions $.02 on how they would come out. Thanks!

Some colors wont look right but black always looks great. There are some shades of blue that would work but most will look kind of dull.

Not quite.

I have black rims with translucent blue over a silver mid coat on my hubs. I'm not sure if this is the color you're looking for but I think it looks fantastic.

I've had these for about 3 years with no scratches at all. Depending on what base coat you use you can have as little or as much sparkle as desired as well, as long as it is a translucent powder.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1378353597.680452.jpg

Here's another shot of the blue...it's my favorite blue on Eastwood or Columbia coatings!

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1378353660.425752.jpg

Whoops, just saw you want the anodized look. That would be a metallic blue that can give you the ano'd look.

Thanks guys I'm gonna go for it. I will see about the blue hubs, but the rims are definitely going to happen soon.

Have an friend that powder coated rims, hubs, and spokes!  Now, there is no way to torque spokes without breaking the powder coating off and making it look like crap.  Be sure they powder coat with some old spoke nipples in place so you can still true the rim is needed.  Have some old spoke ends in place on the hubs too so you can replaces spokes in the future if the need comes up.

Huh?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Have an friend that powder coated rims, hubs, and spokes!  Now, there is no way to torque spokes without breaking the powder coating off and making it look like crap.  Be sure they powder coat with some old spoke nipples in place so you can still true the rim is needed.  Have some old spoke ends in place on the hubs too so you can replaces spokes in the future if the need comes up.

Any decent powdercoating shop has small corks that go in the spoke holes to keep them clear of the coating.

Any decent powdercoating shop has small corks that go in the spoke holes to keep them clear of the coating.

Yeah, you MUST take the wheels apart before having them PC'd

Who told you that you are ignorant good powdercoating can look like annodizing or even stronger! !!!! For rims powder coating is stronger and tough than excel rims annodizing when done properly.

Hinson , boyesen cluth covers are powder coated wake up!!!!!

Who told you that you are ignorant good powdercoating can look like annodizing or even stronger! !!!! For rims powder coating is stronger and tough than excel rims annodizing when done properly.

Hinson , boyesen cluth covers are powder coated wake up!!!!!

Then go ahead. Do it, see if I give a shit.

Edited by BoxcarWilly

You dont know me, you dont know my life, you dont know what ive been through.

Hahaha

You dont know me, you dont know my life, you dont know what ive been through.

Hahaha

Hahaha

Seriously though, it looks like absolute shit. Plus Spokes won't fit right if they're powder coated, or they'll have gaps which look awful. Just leave the stockers. I hate my black rims, they show scratches like crazy.

Hahaha

Seriously though, it looks like absolute shit. Plus Spokes won't fit right if they're powder coated, or they'll have gaps which look awful. Just leave the stockers. I hate my black rims, they show scratches like crazy.

Almost 60 hrs on my powdercoated wheels and they look better than my kx250fs stock wheels.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1378870199.232517.jpg

Almost 60 hrs on my powdercoated wheels and they look better than my kx250fs stock wheels.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1378870199.232517.jpg

Maybe it's just the shops around here, I've seen two bikes with them, and they were absolutely awful.

Maybe it's just the shops around here, I've seen two bikes with them, and they were absolutely awful.

$20 for wheels and hubs here and as you can see, it holds up great.

$20 for wheels and hubs here and as you can see, it holds up great.

For the price of a pack of darts and a 6 pack might as well go for it! lol

:cheers: