Sign in to follow this  

2005 kx250f worth it?

Hi im looking to buy an 04/05 era kx250f, because they are cheap around here. I heard they had overheating problems, but would they make a decent project bike for the money? Im not racing, and I only ride 3 times a month for 2-3 hours. How often to change the oil in them? 2-3 rides? if anyone has had experience with the 04/05 kxf/rmzs, can you please give me some input? thanks in advance.

AND DONT TELL ME TO BUY A 2 STROKE!

Ask on the KXF thread.  04 no way.  05 maybe.  Some folks really liked them, steel frame and all.  06 + yes.  Had one, loved it.

You aren't competing, but even if you were in the fun classes, an '06 KXF will be competitive.  For fun it's a lot of bang for the buck if you can pick one up cheap.

Consider an '05 or above YZ125.  Had one of those, too.  For your purposes that would be a great bike to own.  Probably more expensive to buy, though, because it seems everyone wants one.

• Like 1

The only thing to do with that era of turds are to put it in a paper bag and light it on fire. Or you can skip the bag and just light that steaming green/yellow turd on fire. Run away! Stay away from the hondas of that era, too (unless you like redoing the head). Only bike to consider from that vintage would be the yamahas.

not worth it. By the time you put enough money into it to make it more reliable you can buy a way newer bike. 06 or newer. 04 and 05 crap shoot and usually you will roll craps.

My dad wants me to get rid of mine, he says it sounds too annoying, even though 4 strokes are louder

Well since your dad wants you to get rid of it he can foot the bill on the new thumper. He will quickly realize the mistake he made. The 04's are an absolute no go, I don't care what condition. The 05 has potential, but 99.9% of the time its more cost effective to buy 06 up kxf.

The reasoning behind all of the problems with these years is simply the heat. They get way too hot and the valves will not tolerate it, that's why they go out so fast.

Traded a yz125 for 04 kxf.. Awful awful needed whole motor after a few rides. If you really want a 4t that old go for yzf I may be biased towards one but I have one and have had zero problems

Ive had to 04 kx 250f don't buy it unless you have a lot of money to blow there's a reason there so cheap I had a 03 Yamaha 250 f never had any issues they were good bikes if your going older

04-08 were the same motor theres no problem with them for a bike thats not going to be races hard. I have one my friend has one and so does his father an they are all 2004s my friends bike has 224.6 hours on it (im at his house) with no rebuild or any problems. I have the pro circuit water pump fixed the overheating. Good bike all together if your not racing B or A class. Go for it. I put 40 hours on my bike this summer and its fine. Dont let people that probaly never had a 2004 or 2005 kx250f say anything else.

2006+ engines were dramatically more powerful than the 04/05. I think the 05 chassis is fine for trail riding, but the engine sucks. I would never consider buying an 04/05 just because they are gutless. My mostly stock yz125 has A LOT more pep than the older rmz/kxf. 

04-08 were the same motor theres no problem with them for a bike thats not going to be races hard. I have one my friend has one and so does his father an they are all 2004s my friends bike has 224.6 hours on it (im at his house) with no rebuild or any problems. I have the pro circuit water pump fixed the overheating. Good bike all together if your not racing B or A class. Go for it. I put 40 hours on my bike this summer and its fine. Dont let people that probaly never had a 2004 or 2005 kx250f say anything else.

224hrs and never opened the top-end? Those are incredible hours for a 250f....

Just because people dont own a certain model of bike has very little to do with the reliability of the bike or the credibility of the poster. The general concensus is the bike was unreliable and its history has proven that. That theory runs on the same principles that YZFs are one of the most reliable bikes out there... Not everyone has to own one to know that....

• Like 1