Sign in to follow this  

Rpms at 80 mph?

I want a tach soooo bad. Analog looks the best but vapor is so easy... my parts guy says the vapor that comes with a voltmeter lacks something else on the instrument panel, forgot what it was though.

Anyway, im curious what rpm im running on the freeway.

Someone clue me in pls on my rpm at 80 mph. I have stock 15 41 gearing on my sm. I have the mods listed below, and imho the bike sounds find at 80-85 for 15 mile jaunts to college and back. Hope it doent grenade on me. Oil changes at 1k.

not answering your question just putting my 2 cents in with my experience on my bike... i find myself suprisingly being patient on the interstate... mainly for the reason you said i dont want the thing to blow up but i have found a comfortable motor sound at about 70... i think running a constant 80 is pushing it to hard... other than finding top speed or passing somone i try to stay away from 80... my short runs on the interstate i like to stick around 70 now granted thats only a few miles here in there longest stint on interstate has been like 8 miles haha but yeh i honestly feel like 80 is a bit much for interstate runs (constant 80 that is) but hey im no expert somone might chime in and tell me im completely wrong and its fine...

Yup, Rode my friends SM a few times, and I wouldn't go over 70mh too constantly. But it cruised on the highway way better than my 03 WR450 Supermoto. 

I want a tach soooo bad. Analog looks the best but vapor is so easy... my parts guy says the vapor that comes with a voltmeter lacks something else on the instrument panel, forgot what it was though.

Anyway, im curious what rpm im running on the freeway.

Someone clue me in pls on my rpm at 80 mph. I have stock 15 41 gearing on my sm. I have the mods listed below, and imho the bike sounds find at 80-85 for 15 mile jaunts to college and back. Hope it doent grenade on me. Oil changes at 1k.

With a 150/60-17 rear tire, you are probably turning about 7800 RPM at 80mph...  Oil changes at 1000 miles are helpful... Make sure all the locktite fixes are done too...  

• Like 1

With a 150/60-17 rear tire, you are probably turning about 7800 RPM at 80mph.

Yessir i have 150/60. Only run the best. :) thanks for the nfo. :ride:

Edited by J.Ackel

I ride 36 miles one way to work when I ride the DRZ, 15/38 gearing at anywhere between 70-80 MPH.

On sm wheels 16/38 around 6750 at 80 mph. So add about 1000 rpm for your gearing.

The vapor has a tach the model with the voltmeter is not a vapor. I dont think trail tech offers a stand alone tach.

At that rpm frequent oil checking is a must. You will find when the oil gets old your use will go up. Though stock engines aren't as bad as built ones. Oil change intervals are, well go with personal choice. Frequent is better than not frequent though. Lets not start an oil thread we already have lots..

S model,  stock 15/44 gearing,  i have a TTO tacho,   do lots of freeway,  and lots of top speed testing on me bike.

75mph is 7k rpm,   i know that for sure,  since that is usually what i do on the fwy,   80 is about 7,500,   the bike does it with ease. 

Edited by 150ron
  • Like 1

Been easy on it back and forth to work the past couple days... dont want to foul anything major up! Cause mines same as yours its only at high rpms...

IIf 80mph is roughly 7800 rpms and it does it with ease... then what does the dizzer top out at rpm wise? I would think close to 8k is pretty damn high especially running it constant like that!

S/SM has a rev limiter at 9500

E is 10000 I think

Its a soft rev limiter though, so you may still see 9600-9800 on an S/SM

Did Eddie S once write that drzs make the most power at 8k?

If you look at most any dyno run, you'll see not very many vehicles of any sort make the most power at redline. Most reach peak power well before redline.

8k sounds about right for a DRZ.

Interesting... so i guess when im running 70 its not really "sounding like its about to blow" lol i thought at 70 those rpms were pretty high but apparantely not...

I've got 15/38 gearing on my DRZ400s and just installed the Koso GP style tachometer and got it all programmed just right yesterday.  It works flawlessly after one day so far.  It reads so smooth.  I just adjusted my idle to 1500 rpm and it is dead stable.  There is no jumping around of the needle and no delay. 

The Koso tach has a one into two attachment wire (comes in the box with a clamp and the tach).  It is basically plug and play right into the DRZ400 coil which already has an attachment you just unplug.  You then insert the Koso connector!  It's a one into two because it fills in a middle wire from the stock coil connector wire to the coil and the other line plugs right into the Koso input signal wire. 

Cruising into work this morning I was at about 6,250 rpm at 80 mph, 83 mph at 6500 rpm.  On a side note, I've hit 105mph twice and 106mph one time on a slight downgrade with the 15/38 gearing.

Edited by Leo310

Well .. You can't take the OEM speedo as accurate

Agree...it's optimistic....

Side note = The Vapor can be programmed rather well....I checked my Vapor with a gps and it's right on the money @100 kmh ....