Sign in to follow this  

New bike and new to forum

What's up all? Just had a 93 cr250 basket case given to me. Frame was missing tons of paint and all the plastics are pink or filthy white. Good part is the cylinder has virtually no wear in it. I pulled a 66.33 piston out of it. Machine shop told me to use a standard piston again. SWEET.

Anyway, I'm going to do my best to restore it somewhat back to new. I'll have a few questions for you all once I get really rolling on it. But for now, just an introduction.

Thanks Kc. Well, here is the first question. Anyone have any advice on how to brighten the gas tank up a bit and get it back somewhere close to white? I tried bleach, comet, oxy clean and kaboom. No luck at all.

One more while we are at it. I'll get a pic of this bolt up later. Whoever stripped the bike down certainly like using a cutting wheel. Anyway the bolt is about 5/8 of an inch in diameter and hollow through the center. Can't tell you the length since it's been cut. Anyone have an idea what it's for without seeing a pic?

Welcome Gustav,  I saw some decent looking results online in a ktm forum someone brought an early 80's ktm tank back using cif cleanser and brass wool. Our equivalent would be soft scrub. Going to give it a try sometime on the old tank in my avatar. Will post up if it works.

So, obviously a before and after on the frame. Lots of Ospho and naval jelly, a wire brush and sand paper did wonders for the rust. (Sorry about that upside down pic)

Pics 3 and 4 are of the bolt I had mentioned. I believe it is related to the lower shock mount or that funky looking pivot arm or whatever it's called.

Anyone ever see this seat before? For a 93 at that?

Oh yeah, thanks for the info PiePlates.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by GustavMiller

The pieces of bolt are most likely the swingarm pivot bolt. Probably seized inside the swingarm, and after trying to take it out, resorted to cutting it out, as many do.

The seat looks to be an aftermarket one industries brand, that probably went with a graphic kit. Looks like a great start on a project....Even better is the free part. You done good.

The seat looks to be an aftermarket one industries brand, that probably went with a graphic kit. Looks like a great start on a project....Even better is the free part. You done good.

When I walked into the guys garage to pick the bike up and I saw the Elsinore on the seat, I flipped my lid for a minute. Then reality hit since they don't make a 93 Elsinore.

There was an Elsinore graphics kit that One Idustries had come out with.  Although I am not a fan of the black, the shroud decals would be cool to get ahold of.

SAM_0702_507456.JPG

img_00707_1WZXTMbRXJk_600x450_r.jpg

Edited by KcDavis
  • Like 1

Wykyd...... Thanks for the info. Pretty sure you're right about the bolt location. I found some rusted, nasty roller bearings and the rest of it in the bottom of the box.

Kc...... I really like the whole kit but would change the plastics to white. If anyone comes across this kit please let me know!!!!!!!

So, just rebuilt the calipers tonight. I'm really happy with how they turned out. Waiting for a swing arm from ebay sine the previous owner let chain wear through the guide, swing arm and into the bushings. So far I've come to the realization you need the right tools, lots of light and lots patience and even more money. The wife's not too thrilled but she'll get over it.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Welcome aboard Gustav.

I 'll keep an eye on your restoration. I really enjoy this kind of posts.

Thanks man. I'm enjoying the project.

I am about 75% done with my 95 cr125 restoration.got bike in june for 75.00.yes its a money pit but i have had a great time.use any online microfiche or parts catalog for part #.I got a oem service manuel which is a great resource also.the bike i got was pretty hammered,engine has all new bearings ,seals ,crank,piston and yep had to replate cylinder.I will have way more money into it than its worth.

Have fun.