Honda crf250r or Yamaha wr250f?

Hi guys. Im looking at buyin a bike, previously I was looking at a Yamaha wr250f, but am now looking at maybe a Honda crf250r. Could somebody tell me which one is better. What is the power like in both and which is greater? Which one has better bottom end power? I've heard the crf hasn't got a lot of bottom end grunt, is that true?

One is a trail bike, one is a race bike.

A better comparison would be comparing a WR250F to a CRF250X, or comparing a YZ250F to a CRF250R

What do you intend to use it for? If you are a new rider you should buy a CRF230F

Hi guys. Im looking at buyin a bike, previously I was looking at a Yamaha wr250f, but am now looking at maybe a Honda crf250r. Could somebody tell me which one is better. What is the power like in both and which is greater? Which one has better bottom end power? I've heard the crf hasn't got a lot of bottom end grunt, is that true?

crf250r is a great bike but it doesn't have the best bottom end... Still can get up hills with little revs! I love the mid to top though! Never tried a yzf

I used to ride a crf230 but its to tame for me. I want to do enduros with them. And I want a bike with the amount of power that I won't outgrow to fast.

I used to ride a crf230 but its to tame for me. I want to do enduros with them. And I want a bike with the amount of power that I won't outgrow to fast.

Ok, for enduros, definitely NOT a CRF250R or other race MX bike they are not geared wide enough.

You won't really "outgrow" the power on a 250, but they don't make a lot of torque VS a larger bike, so they are harder/impossible to ride if the terrain is too steep and technical, and if you have to do long open stretches it will definitely hold you back.

You could look at a KTM EXC, Husaberg, CRF450X, WR450F. Displacement 350-600CC

If you are just doing this just for fun and want to go cheap (especially on maintenance), a used XR400 is a nearly indestructible bike.

The CRF230 you ride now has a heavy flywheel and is geared to make lots of torque. An XR400 is the same, except the suspension is better, and almost 2x the power. The other bikes mentioned are a totally different riding feel, more competitive, but will really require a lot more clutch slipping and throttle control and will wear you out quickly

If you are doing this to be competitive, you should just see what bike everyone else is using, and use that.

I would go with the WR250F, I had the WR250X, wich is less powerfull than a WR250F and I could smoke my buddy on his CRF230

Not true. 

The CRF250R has a lot of torque and bottom end power for a 250 series mx bike. Obviously one can't compare the CRF250R with the 450R's, but if you're comparing 250's across the board, the CRF250R is a great bike, lots of bottom end torque, power, and speed. I have a CRF450R and my wife rides a CRF230F.. the 230f is bullet proof and requires little maintenance. Just keep the engine oil/filter and air filter clean... it will last for ever.

Anyone that tells you a CRF250R don't have much bottom end torque/grunt, simply has not been on one. 

The CRF250R gets my vote. 

JL 

0602131112a.jpg

Not true. 

The CRF250R has a lot of torque and bottom end power for a 250 series mx bike. Obviously one can't compare the CRF250R with the 450R's, but if you're comparing 250's across the board, the CRF250R is a great bike, lots of bottom end torque, power, and speed. I have a CRF450R and my wife rides a CRF230F.. the 230f is bullet proof and requires little maintenance. Just keep the engine oil/filter and air filter clean... it will last for ever.

Anyone that tells you a CRF250R don't have much bottom end torque/grunt, simply has not been on one. 

The CRF250R gets my vote. 

JL 

The OP doesn't do MX, so you are saying the 250R is a good enduro bike?

Edited by mudguy

The OP doesn't do MX, so you are saying the 250R is a good enduro bike?

mudguy,

I responded specifically to RovingRaven's question below. Key word is "specifically" to the original question which had nothing to do with mx or enduro riding; which he mentioned in a follow-up post. RR was simply asking for opinions between Yamaha WR250F and CRF250R's.. 

What don't you understand.? I suggest you re-read RR's original post. 

With respect to your question, yes. I have personally done lot's of enduro style riding on a CRF250R. Great bike with lots of torque, power, and speed for the trails. 

"Hi guys. Im looking at buyin a bikeicon1.png, previously I was looking at a Yamaha wr250f, but am now looking at maybe a Honda crf250r. Could somebody tell me which one is better. What is the power like in both and which is greater? Which one has better bottom end power? I've heard the crf hasn't got a lot of bottom end grunt, is that true?" 

Are there any common problems with these two bikes?

Definitely the crf got one a week ago greatest bike ever rode starts easy runs great plenty of power

Are there any common problems with these two bikes?

RR,

I really can't speak to the Yamaha WR250F, but several of my riding buddies have CRF250R's and they all love the bike. I've rode the 250R on trails and tracks without incident or problems with the bike. As with the 450R's, the 250R is a high maintenance bike due to the fact it was built to race mx, so you would need to change the engine oil/filter and clean the air filter more often than you would any enduro bike. However, if you are looking for good power, torque, speed, handling, durability, and reliability, the  CRF250R will not let you down. It's a great bike, very reliable, and fun to ride on mx tracks and trails.

Let us know what you decide.

JL 

0602131112b.jpg

So how often do you have to reshim the valves? Do have to change valves and reseat them at any stage? Or can tht be avoided by regular maintenence?

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1378633921.645581.jpg this is my 250 awesome bike to ride starts easy fun to ride won't let ya down mate!

So how often do you have to reshim the valves? Do have to change valves and reseat them at any stage? Or can tht be avoided by regular maintenence?

It's hit and miss. On my buddies 2005 crf250r, they lasted 7 years, it was raced and then later trail ridden, original owner had never changed them. Other people seem to kill them quickly, my other friends WR250F chucked a valve at around 30 hours, wrecked the head.

With a modern 4 stroke, I always feel like I am riding on borrowed time.

If the guys ride flat out all the time, with the bike running near max revs, surely that will cause it to bust valves?

Mud guy, if I understand you correctly, you saying the newer 4 stroke bike eat valves more than the older bikes? I would of thought the newer models would of been better bikes?

If the guys ride flat out all the time, with the bike running near max revs, surely that will cause it to bust valves? Mud guy, if I understand you correctly, you saying the newer 4 stroke bike eat valves more than the older bikes? I would of thought the newer models would of been better bikes?

In both the cases above, the riders were fairly novice riders, not really winding the engine out. If everything holds together, you can get ok life out of the valves, but quite a few guys have random (expensive) failures.

The new 4 strokes are faster, lighter, better handling, but reliability suffers. Your crf230 is bulletproof compared to a modern 4 stroke, needs practically no maintenance, valves can be adjusted with a wrench and last thousands of miles. Your engine is massively overbuilt for the power it produces, a crf250r is designed right on the edge of reliability.

Anyway, I would post on the general forum, explain what type of riding you want to do, and ask for recommendations on what bike to buy.

Ok now comparing the crf250r to the crf250x, the x being an enduro bike, would the valves and shims last longer than the r, which is an mx bike? What are the differences in reliability?

Ok now comparing the crf250r to the crf250x, the x being an enduro bike, would the valves and shims last longer than the r, which is an mx bike? What are the differences in reliability?

It's basically the same motor, detuned a bit. They might last slightly longer, but still, it needs the same maintenance. The gearbox is wider, the suspension is set up for trail, it has electric start, headlight, bigger tank, etc. which are all nice if you ride in the woods/trail.

It's a direct competitor to the WR250F. The Honda seems to eat valves faster than the Yamaha, but the Honda has less valves, and the parts are a lot cheaper, so they are basically the same. A CRF250 head with valves costs around $600, a Yamaha head will run closer to $1000. More people make aftermarket parts for the Honda than the Yamaha.

So now would I be able to reshim valves myself? Or would I have to send it to the dealership to have them done? If I can do it myself, how do I know which shims to put in? Would I have to grind the valve stems down a bit?