CR125 Needles (PWK)

The DDJ needle is probably going to be a good one for you.  I am using JD's needles in my 94 cr125 with the Eric Gorr 144cc big bore kit and I love them.  Very crisp. Before I put that PWK on my 06 cr250, I had JD's blue needle in the 4th clip position (running 4500 feet above sea level).  I was using the 7.0 slide, so if you are lower elevation and want to use his needles, I wouldn't go with the leaner slide like the 7.0, I would definately use the 5.5 slide from the 99 CR250.

Hey Nino where could I find the N1EI needle, is it from a KTM? I was going to order thru the jetsrus.com website, just no sure on some of the needle references?  So far I mentioned the DDJ needle, looks like a CEL also but Im not sure on the N3CG and N1EI needles, can someone help me out with trying to figure out if jetsrus has those?

Im going to be ordering some needles for my 03 cr125 with an 01 kx250 pwk.  Right now I have a NAFF needle in there but want to try some others.  I know the DDJ and N3CG needles are on my list so far, anything else I should consider?

I'll list some of the needles that I have tried and was able to use in my 07'cr125 with an 01' yz250 pwk with a 7.0 slide. I just got a 6.5 slide that I'll start trying soon

I'll list the single taper needles first. (Jets R Us, Sudco)

CCK 

CEL

DDK

I have no doubt that you could use a DDJ needle. I just don't have one to try. The single taper needles seem to like  big pilots and main jets, when compared to the triple taper needles, that  hurt fuel milage.

Duel taper needles:

N3CF- from an 07 KTM 144 sx

N3EG- from an 01 yz250

Triple taper needles:

NEDF- from an 07'rm250

N1EF- 07' KTM 250sx

N3YD- 00' Kawasaki kx250

I've used a lot of  the G series needles and others, and have since move on for the most part to the F needles. They seem to be more flexable.

For the Guy's using the earlier AS1 PWK's( screw on top with a deeper float bowl) I'm seeing posts that suggest they need to use a richer needle(only) than the AS2 OEM PWK's. WHY ?

Edited by rtv

Hey Nino where could I find the N1EI needle, is it from a KTM? I was going to order thru the jetsrus.com website, just no sure on some of the needle references?  So far I mentioned the DDJ needle, looks like a CEL also but Im not sure on the N3CG and N1EI needles, can someone help me out with trying to figure out if jetsrus has those?

Yes-thats a needle used in KTMs and TMs alike

I'll list some of the needles that I have tried and was able to use in my 07'cr125 with an 01' yz250 pwk with a 7.0 slide. I just got a 6.5 slide that I'll start trying soon

I'll list the single taper needles first. (Jets R Us, Sudco)

CCK

CEL

DDK

I have no doubt that you could use a DDJ needle. I just don't have one to try. The single taper needles seem to like big pilots and main jets, when compared to the triple taper needles, that hurt fuel milage.

Duel taper needles:

N3CF- from an 07 KTM 144 sx

N3EG- from an 01 yz250

Triple taper needles:

NEDF- from an 07'rm250

N1EF- 07' KTM 250sx

N3YD- 00' Kawasaki kx250

I've used a lot of the G series needles and others, and have since move on for the most part to the F needles. They seem to be more flexable.

For the Guy's using the earlier AS1 PWK's( screw on top with a deeper float bowl) I'm seeing posts that suggest they need to use a richer needle(only) than the AS2 OEM PWK's. WHY ?

What's the difference between the G & F series needles?

What's the difference between the G & F series needles?

Diameters, The G series has a diameter of 2.725 vs the F's 2.715. Its just a little richer, and my bike seems to like it a little more.  

Diameters, The G series has a diameter of 2.725 vs the F's 2.715. Its just a little richer, and my bike seems to like it a little more.  

Thanks for that.  Do you think the F needles would also work better on a 144 big bore?  I'm realizing that I started a new hobby that i didn't even know about, collecting needles. ?

I'm trying to understand the needle codes.  Correct me if I'm wrong...  The N3Ex is half clip richer than N3Cx.  Yes/No?  

4th letter: rich to lean (Smaller dia to Larger dia) alphabetically...  Yes/No?

I'm trying to understand the needle codes.  Correct me if I'm wrong...  The N3Ex is half clip richer than N3Cx.  Yes/No?  

4th letter: rich to lean (Smaller dia to Larger dia) alphabetically...  Yes/No?

Correct, an N3Ex (Yamaha/KTM oem needle) is 1/2 step richer than the N3Cx needles.  Kawasaki also uses an N3xx, where the Y is 1/2 clip position richer than a W, and just like on all OEM needles the 4th letter is the diameter.  Yes rich to lean A=2.665  B=2.675  C=2.865 etc... Except the letter I is replaced with a W in the series, eg. H, W, J ,K ...

Edited by rtv

Correct, an N3Ex (Yamaha/KTM oem needle) is 1/2 step richer than the N3Cx needles.  Kawasaki also uses an N3xx, where the Y is 1/2 clip position richer than a W, and just like on all OEM needles the 4th letter is the diameter.  Yes rich to lean A=2.665  B=2.675  C=2.865 etc... Except the letter I is replaced with a W in the series, eg. H, W, J ,K ...

While it makes sense that Y would be richer than W it's actually just the opposite. N3Yx is 1/2 clip position leaner than N3Wx. The A diameter is 1 step richer at 2.655, your correct in that they do increase in size by .01mm for each letter. The diameters I and W both = 2.735. N1EI is 1/2 clip richer than NOZI, N3WW is 1/2 clip richer than N3YW, all have the same starting diameter (2.735mm). Why they used the letter I in some codes and the letter W in others is a mystery.

• Like 1

While it makes sense that Y would be richer than W it's actually just the opposite. N3Yx is 1/2 clip position leaner than N3Wx. The A diameter is 1 step richer at 2.655, your correct in that they do increase in size by .01mm for each letter. The diameters I and W both = 2.735. N1EI is 1/2 clip richer than NOZI, N3WW is 1/2 clip richer than N3YW, all have the same starting diameter (2.735mm). Why they used the letter I in some codes and the letter W in others is a mystery.

I knew that, and wanted to point out that Kawasaki's  N3 series was a little different, and I still wrote it wrong. I also know that  A=2.655 and goes up. I guess it just wasn't my day when it came writting stuff down.

Edited by rtv
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

On my Mugen equipped '97 engine i am using

PWK 38 A/S

Slow: 43

Main: 175

Slide: 7.0

Needle: N1EI (2nd)

My friend who uses a 144cc Gorr:

PWK 38 A/S

Slow: 43

Main: 173

Slide: 7.0

Needle: N1EI

(all at around 1650 ft/ 500m)

Hi NINO is your friend with the 144 running the N1EI needle also running it in the 2nd clip position?  I am thinking of getting that needle to test on my 144 done by Eric Gorr.

Edited by frdbtr

• 4 weeks later...

Where can get done my 144 in Europe better UK??? Cheers

I don't know where in europe.  Be sure to have your cylinder ported, and your head reshaped for the type of fuel you use.  

Eric Gorr does all this in a package deal and includes a top end/piston kit that is balanced to match the weight of oem piston.  I think well worth the extra few dollars for shipping.  He does a really good job.  I recommend the low/mid porting for Trail riding.

http://www.eric-gorr.com/mxlites.php

• Like 1