Sign in to follow this  

Odometer/Speedometer Compatibility

Will the stock odo/speedo on my 2003 klx400sr work with wheels from a 2004 dry400e?

I might be mistaken but I think the only difference between these two bike is the colour of the plastic..... (assuming you mean drZ400e)   :thumbsup:

yeah i meant drz400e. I thought the E model didnt have an odometer/speedo though and the S does, so would the wheels from an E not register with the odometer on an S???

I think (so don't quote me on this) that E and S hubs are the same so as long as you put a speedo drive in there it should work. You may want to wait on someone more experienced to either confirm or deny.

Dont want to jack the thread, but, if all else failed, could a guy mount up a good old plain speedo unit from say a dr650 ?  Not that I have to,, just disaster planning 

Dont want to jack the thread, but, if all else failed, could a guy mount up a good old plain speedo unit from say a dr650 ?  Not that I have to,, just disaster planning

A Trail Tech Vapor would work (magnetic pickup), and its a lot cheaper than the $800+ drz speedo.

The S speedo and parts will fit right on, all you will have to change is the the right wheel bearing seal. Pull the wheel, remove the spacer, rswap out the seal, install the speedo drive.

Depending on what year  speedo, it will have two or three wires on it  Orange (goes to bike orange) Black/with white stripe (goes to bike ground, same code) and if a thrid wirre (gray) it would connect to the orange wire (runs the internal light).

I to though, would install a Vapor instead.