Sign in to follow this  

New DRZ Owner

Long time browser, lurker, reader... New DRZ Owner... Just saying HI and to see if anyone in the Oneida County NY area that rides. 

Currently I run the following 

03 Buell XB9R with the Factory Race kit installed.

11 DRZ400 with DRC Taillight mod and 400 miles :-)  (This was a left over model that I picked up with zero miles)  

Not sure on what to do next for MODs, might stick to bolt on MODs until my warranty is up. Ideas? 

Besides the reliability fixes, I think pretty much everyone does the 3x3 mod and re-jets their carb. There is a lot of stuff you can do to the engine, but I don't know how that affects your warranty.

Yeah as I have read I have noticed that 99% do the 3x3 and Jet kit w/pipe... Which I will do, just need a little time. I am thinking of doing the following: 

Hand Guards, maybe Zetas with the Triple clap mount. Just having a hard time with the price. 

Maybe handle bar and 3 finger brake/clutch combo.

Hand Warmers. 

Gearing... its stock now and I will be ordering a 14 for the front and see how that is. I ride allot of back roads and trails so a top speed of 75/80 will be OK.... So maybe 14/47 gearing... 

X2 Light

Any good ideas on how to lighten this? 

Yeah as I have read I have noticed that 99% do the 3x3 and Jet kit w/pipe... Which I will do, just need a little time. I am thinking of doing the following: 

Hand Guards, maybe Zetas with the Triple clap mount. Just having a hard time with the price. 

Maybe handle bar and 3 finger brake/clutch combo.

Hand Warmers. 

Gearing... its stock now and I will be ordering a 14 for the front and see how that is. I ride allot of back roads and trails so a top speed of 75/80 will be OK.... So maybe 14/47 gearing... 

X2 Light

Any good ideas on how to lighten this? 

There are some ideas in here:  http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1036127-lightweight-parts/

but you will never be able to make it as light as an MX bike.

Loose 20 pounds of human weight...LOL! ;) Really not to much to shed off the bike. Passenger pegs loss would require a new bracket to hold the exhaust. Speaking of exhaust...the stock one is way heavy. A change to a MRDssw will improve performance a lot and shed many pounds. The a/b and carb mods will increase HP a bit to help haul the weight. A battery change to a Shorai will shed pound or two. The rubber inserts on the foot pegs a few ounces. The rear fender assembly  change you did shed some weight. The main thing with the DR-Z is the frame. Its steel and thereby weighs more then the competitions aluminium ones. In all its hard pressed to lose 20 pounds off the bike. The battery and exhaust change will give you the most weight loss overall.

Ended up doing the following which is working out great: 

Tusk D-Flex Alum hand guards

14 Tooth front sprocket

MRD-SSW Full exhaust 

TT Kit = FCR 39-MX.

OEM Rear rack 

LED Turn signals... 

Thinking of mirror alternatives and heated grips, and a new set of pirelli tires - any ideas. 

If you have stock bars, get some 7/8" bar end mirrors, take out the plug, and clamp them to your handlebar