Sign in to follow this  

Quiet exhaust

I'm looking for a quiet exhaust for my XR400. Previous owner put on a CHM pipe, it is too loud for my tastes. Also doesn't seem to seal very well.

What are my options?

Look for a stock pipe on e-bay...  Or maybe check out CHM to see if they sell different inserts for your pipe to quite it down.

I have a white brothers aftermarket pipe on mine and was able to drill out the rivets and repack it to reduce the sound.  It also has rings that can be added or removed at the tip.  More rings = more flow and more sound.  I was able to remove two or three and knock it down a few dB's.

Doug

Edited by Dougget
  • Like 1

Look for a stock pipe on e-bay........

+1. Stock is heavy but good.

If you want a good sounding aftermarket pipe that is also quiet, get the FMF Q series.  Brand new slip ons are a little under $290 shipped.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FMF-Racing-Q4-Spark-Arrestor-Slip-On-Stainless-Midpipe-041334-Honda-XR400R-96-04-/281073558924?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item41714a258c&vxp=mtr

Good Luck!

Edited by n2omike

If you want a good sounding aftermarket pipe that is also quiet, get the FMF Q series.  Brand new slip ons are a little under $290 shipped.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FMF-Racing-Q4-Spark-Arrestor-Slip-On-Stainless-Midpipe-041334-Honda-XR400R-96-04-/281073558924?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item41714a258c&vxp=mtr

Good Luck!

I agree. If you can't find a stock unit, the Q series would be my next option.

Good Luck!

Due to CARB Regulations, this item is not available for sale to customers located in the state of CA. All purchases by CA residents will be immediately canceled and refunded.

It's funny, because the item is located in CA.

Due to CARB Regulations, this item is not available for sale to customers located in the state of CA. All purchases by CA residents will be immediately canceled and refunded.

It's funny, because the item is located in CA.

Actually, not funny as it sounds like CARB is cracking down.   Probably our, "Loud pipes save lives" street riding buddies screwing the pooch.   I know 2-strokes for bicycles often have the same sales restrictions.    Not for sale in CA.

I'd message the guy.  His ad might be required to say that, but he might send it to you anyway.  Either that, or find a vendor not located in CA...  Might not be watched as closely as the NAZI state, and/or might not even know that it's not supposed to be sold there.  You can get one if you want it.

Search "FMF Q XR400" on Ebay.  I saw 18 hits on that. 

Good Luck!

Edited by n2omike

I just bought an XR and the pipe was loud.   I felt like i was pissing off the neighbors driving by their houses.   I just got the FMF Q4 put on it and really like it.  Good sound and its quiet.

Actually, not funny as it sounds like CARB is cracking down.   Probably our, "Loud pipes save lives" street riding buddies screwing the pooch.   I know 2-strokes for bicycles often have the same sales restrictions.    Not for sale in CA.

2 strokes are about exhaust emissions. 

I've heard that thhe Q pipes are similar or = the stocker in terms of being restrictive.  If you're rejetted for a performance pipe with the normal breathing mods, are you then too rich with a Q as you would be in going back to a stock exhaust?

Edited by MindBlower

2 strokes are about exhaust emissions.

If a motorcycle exhaust is too loud, it is a matter for the police, rangers, or highway patrol. CARB doesn't regulate noise.

CARB is the air pollution police. We have regulations for street bikes, trail bikes,such as XRs, (green sticker), and closed course competition bikes aka motocross bikes (red sticker). The key factor is how much pollution they put out. Red sticker bikes can only be ridden on tracks! Closed course races, and in the winter months.

I don't know for sure, but I would guess the dealer selling the Q pipes got a letter from CARB stating, "how can you prove these pipes are not being sold for street bikes or making green sticker bikes non compliant?". They are not an agency to mess with. Easier to say not for sale in CA. I bet he can walk into a shop and buy a Q pipe.

Edited by Kev_XR

I've heard that thhe Q pipes are similar or = the stocker in terms of being restrictive.  If you're rejetted for a performance pipe with the normal breathing mods, are you then too rich with a Q as you would be in going back to a stock exhaust?

From my own experience, I'm going to say, no. I would not change my jetting when swapping to a Q4 in that scenario. Not without running it first, anyway.

I don't think the Q is as restirctive as you're thinking, compared to stock. They both do the same job, just designed differently.

Cool, I also have a CHM and while I think it's the nicest sounding 400 I've ever heard, it is loud and they are out of business and I can't find a "quiet core" for it.

got my q4 on ebay shipped to CA last year... real nice... quiet for stealth when needed but with a nice note when you romp on it...

do you want to sell that CHM pipe?

Sure...everything on my bike is for sale, just depends on the price!

$265/obo because that is what a new FMF Q4 will cost me!

Or make an offer!

Sure...everything on my bike is for sale, just depends on the price!

$265/obo because that is what a new FMF Q4 will cost me!

Or make an offer!

I also have a spray painted gas tank (fully functional) for $499, slightly ripped seat for $358, a pair of bent renthal bars only $105.55, a set of stock forks for $893, a front wheel with kind of new tire for $590, and all sorts of other prized XR goodies.

There's only one true quiet exhaust and it comes from an 04-07 CRF250X..as below.

5htg.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

It has a removable diffuser in the end,,take it out it's loudish,,leave it in it's as quiet as a stock XL600,,and no doubt easily as quiet as a stock 400..

With the diffuser in it looks like this..

j3oy.jpg

Out the diffuser looks like this..

gngy.jpg

Modified,,you do this  or drill it as above and it's still quiet..

ee27.jpg

You can pick them up for about $60.00..excellent pipe,,you will need to mod it to connect it to the header..

Edited by Horri