Sign in to follow this  

06 cr250 rebuild

Hey guys I'm brand new to thumper talk and brand new to the cr world , i have done alot of research since i bought the bike and have learned alot from this forum thanks to everyone for the great information . When i got the bike it ran strong and seemed near perfect but shortly after i got it ( i put 3 hrs on it ) it started to foul plugs . Every time i would stRt it up cold it would foul a plug . Then within 1 more hour of use ( the bike has a hr meter) it developed a loud knock and within 1 more hr i lost the connecting rod bearing :( i have all the parts ordered to totally rebuild the bike. I am looking for some advice. Could the crank issue cause me to foul plugs/run rich or should i pull the carb apart and check the float height before firing up the mew engine . It had a jd jet kit and for the first few rides it ran great

Hey guys I'm brand new to thumper talk and brand new to the cr world , i have done alot of research since i bought the bike and have learned alot from this forum thanks to everyone for the great information . When i got the bike it ran strong and seemed near perfect but shortly after i got it ( i put 3 hrs on it ) it started to foul plugs . Every time i would stRt it up cold it would foul a plug . Then within 1 more hour of use ( the bike has a hr meter) it developed a loud knock and within 1 more hr i lost the connecting rod bearing :( i have all the parts ordered to totally rebuild the bike. I am looking for some advice. Could the crank issue cause me to foul plugs/run rich or should i pull the carb apart and check the float height before firing up the mew engine . It had a jd jet kit and for the first few rides it ran great

Sounds like it blew the right crank seal once one competent of the lower end starts to go its not long before it takes out the whole rotating assembly,

Your best bet is to rebuild the engine with OEM Honda parts

I already ordered a hotrod crank and top end kit from moto sport , so i should leave the carb as is until i fire it up and see how it runs?

Great choice on the crank. Atleast ya didnt opt for a wiseco. As for the carb, I would go ahead and pull it apart and make sure its all clean, and take note of the jetting specs, needle clip position, etc.

While back there was a post about a hotrod crank letting go on a cr250. Cancel it or send it back and like already mentioned get OEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not worth saving a few bucks only to grenade your motor  again

While back there was a post about a hotrod crank letting go on a cr250. Cancel it or send it back and like already mentioned get OEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not worth saving a few bucks only to grenade your motor  again

Hot rod is the same or sometimes better quality than OEM. Wiseco cranks are junk!!

I'm sorry but when it comes to something crucial like the crank, there is no better quality than an OEM Honda part. Don't know how much that hot rods crank is but you can find the oem one for the 05-07 bikes for around $200.

• Like 2

The 05-07 Honda OEM crank is a fine piece of metallurgy and Asian precision. Anyone buying otherwise is a goon. The only way you can do better than the OEM crank, is to buy the OEM 05-07 crank and send it out to have the balance verified and adjusted if necessary.

I didnt starts this topic to start a discussion about the best crank or to be called a goon , no doubt oem is probably best but from honda all the rebuild parts were $1000 parts from Motorsport were $650

• Like 1

On the carb, atleast take bowl off and ck needle and seat for obvious wear replace as neccasary. If you are gonna replace crank and bearings you cant beat oem,other option is to send old crank to crankworks and just have them rebuild original and have them balance crank with piston as a complete ass.If you search there are many Honda dealers who want to move parts,Service Honda,Honda of Troy,

My thought ,its your moter spend a little extra.And know that when you are 20 ft in the air ,or 20 miles from the truck  you have confidence in your build.just my opinion 

I didnt starts this topic to start a discussion about the best crank or to be called a goon , no doubt oem is probably best but from honda all the rebuild parts were $1000 parts from Motorsport were $650

I didn't mean to start a debate I was unaware you had already ordered your parts, the 05+ cranks from hot rods are fine just make sure you check and measure everything and you'll be fine

Hey guys i got my bike all rebuilt and it runs great but im getting a weird sounds in the top of 4th and 5th the bime made this sound before i rebuilt it and i thought it would go away but its still there. 1.2.3rd gear the bime pulls hard , as it does in 4th and 5th but when in heavy load in these 2 gears i hear a clicking sound or almost like a ticking goes away at the high rpm in the gear i only hear ot mod range in 4th or 5th

Just took the bike for a ride after supper. It seems to have gotten worse but its a cold day +2 Celsius in labrador am starting to wonder if the bikes leaning out . Is what im hearing a "ping" i have mever jad a 250 2 stroke before , can i fix this by adjusting the airscrew ? I just put $700 into this motor and im afraid somethings gonna happen . The bike pulls like a train but this tick/ click sound deff isnt normal

You just described what sounds like destination. It is you piston rattling from the fuel per-igniting before it is time. The explostion wave hits the piston before it is at tdc and causes it to ping or rattle. very bad. You can riching up you needle and or main, retart the timing or run higher octane fuel to stop it.

05-07 are know for this problem.

Edited by Kirkes

Thanks for the help

It has a jd ket kit in it and i have all the original stuff so i have lots of extra jets ill try changing the main tomorow and see if it helps thanks

it just died,

new crank

new crank bearings

new crank seals

good to go

hot rods crank is fine,

honda oem is great don't get me wrong but I have used over a dozen hot rods cranks over the years and they work great.

oem

pro x

hot rods

wossner rods on oem crank

pro x rods on oem crank

all fine

Rebuild it with the carb as is, should be fine. I would get the head setup, the stock head on the 05-07 cr250 is unbelievably bad. 

do this, take the number you get (it will be between .070-.080 inch)

http://www.rb-designs.com/squish-band-test.htm

send the head to rb with the measurement and tell him what kind of fuel you want. The bike will run much much better and happier on pump fuel than it does now

fyi, send the stock crank to kenoconnorracing.com for a rebuild, they cut the old one in half, install a new pro x rod kit and true the crank to specs that are better than a new oem crank out of the box. Use it as a spare or sell it after.

• Like 1