Sign in to follow this  

2014 KTM 250XC

vid of First Contact here....

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1044911-first-contact-2014-ktm-250xc/

Prior to breakin ride I changed jetting, rad guards skidplate, pipeguard. HD tubes and my favorite tires. Barkbusters.

Out of the box handling was an odd mix of scary and sublime... But I had neglected to set sag! Will update after further rides.

Thx.

Yesterday put another couple hrs on it. Got the sag set and it made a huge difference in handleing. (surprise!) also drop the "w" needle from 2nd position to 3rd. Was almost perfect very smooth ramp up of power. (will go to j needle in 3rd pos next) Rode a loop of very narrow 2nd gear type singletrack that has lots of elevation change with slick roots and lots of wet logs. Both ends felt very planted I was giddy.

Dam Albertans, you got too much money! :smirk:

Why does everyone call me a cheap bastard then???

Pulled all I could from the 11, Im calling 250XCs my midlife "crisis". Beats alimony and therapy so I have the rattlesnake convinced Im actually saving money!

Why does everyone call me a cheap bastard then???

Pulled all I could from the 11, Im calling 250XCs my midlife "crisis". Beats alimony and therapy so I have the rattlesnake convinced Im actually saving money!

I see you bought from Cycle Works too, I bought my Polaris from them. Good guys....

I see you bought from Cycle Works too, I bought my Polaris from them. Good guys....

They give back to the offroad community.... Which is a huge plus in my books!

Awsome bike and really cool video. Have fun getting it dirty!

Ok its dirty.....

Have the suspension close to dialed.... For my needs it is a huge leap over the '11. I dont look at roots or rocks... Just ride through them. The front tracks very very well, have had no diving issues. Both ends seem to find traction where my 11 cant.

Power delivery is right on for the stuff I ride. Smooth and linear. Nice and predictable.

Im not a fiddler so I think the setup is almost done.....

Care to share your setup settings?!

Not a prob... Rider sag at 100mm rear stock settings. Front one back on the rebound and for yesterdays ride 2 clicks off the soft setting for compression. In otherwords virtually stock. I have not been riding much this year and yesterdays ride consisted of never ending hack several hundred log crossings in tight trees and the ridges were all covered in loose 6" shaletype rocks. As I get back ing riding shape the compression will come up to the "sport" setting.

I have done very little highspeed stuff. Was in 6th once yesterday across a field with mild whoops It felt ok there. Also hit several faces on uphill cutlines in 3rd... Didnt bottom and felt very controlled.

I should add that most of our riding is of the technical nature.... I have no idea how the suspension will react to sweeping turns rutted corners or fast square edge bumps.

Over all I am very happy with the planted feel of the bike, and the increased traction (this really surprised me... It hooks up great!)