Sign in to follow this  

BYOB now for 2014 RS MODELS

Yeah saw this a couple of days ago.

I'm presently adding up what makes sense to purchase on my BYOB order next week. Here's where I am so far;

2014 450RS

Rekluse EXP clutch

5.0 springs

IMS tank

Rad guards

DS rack

Pivot pegs

R&D flexjet adjuster

EE hand guards

Any other suggestions??

Gotta remember I ride mostly up in the Sierra/Nevada mountains and lots of single track/jeep trails, and will only be spending 20% of my time in open desert style riding

Pivot pegs! Yikes! Have you had them before Mark?

I broke my leg because of those stinking things. The pivot spring broke on my left peg through the whoops during a race causing my foot to slip off and did a Tibia Plateau fracture.

Other than the pegs, looks like a sensible bike. The R&D flex jet is really cool. If it's in your budget, I might suggest the LHRB for another 300 bucks and the ARC levers. The brake will take you less than one ride to get used to and it falls right into your hand when standing and going down nasty, loose hills.

file_zps05e85a8e.jpg

I would get a skid plate and skip the hand guards. My dealer George (Uptite, makes the Beta skid plates BTW,) thinks they are dangerous (over the bars, break your hands) in more open riding...trees like back east...useful. Sierra riding seems more open, even single track. That LHRB does sound useful too. We put the TT Voyager on my bike and I like it. Flex jet is good choice. There are some farkly studs for low profiling the rear lights and turn signals you might consider but other after market options too.

Fan kit? I don't have one yet but am considering. Have Rekluse and fan on my Husky TE 310

Yeah Chris,

Been using them (pivot pegs) on the last 2 bikes, as I was always having my boots slip off of many standard pegs. But they could seriously F you up if one of the springs broke, good thought though, might have to reconsider that one, until I ride the new Beta and see if I slip with those pegs. My Honda CRF450x and the Aprilia pegs were just too narrow and just did not bite either pair of my boots.

You know the LHRB is something that could save my bacon (ankle/balance) on my steep down hills not to mention tight down hill switch backs many other places. 

The idea of both the LHRB and the Rekluse will make my single track much easier....

Thanks for the input I'll ad the LHRB & ARC levers, good points!

M

Pivot pegs! Yikes! Have you had them before Mark?

I broke my leg because of those stinking things. The pivot spring broke on my left peg through the whoops during a race causing my foot to slip off and did a Tibia Plateau fracture.

Other than the pegs, looks like a sensible bike. The R&D flex jet is really cool. If it's in your budget, I might suggest the LHRB for another 300 bucks and the ARC levers. The brake will take you less than one ride to get used to and it falls right into your hand when standing and going down nasty, loose hills.

file_zps05e85a8e.jpg

Yeah might as well ad that skid plate I know I was going have to have one in short order.

Are you saying that one of the skid plates out there (sticks) to rocks? Hmm? Which one?

I like the idea the the 2014 comes with the fan kit as standard.

I would get a skid plate and skip the hand guards. My dealer George (Uptite, makes the Beta skid plates BTW,) thinks they are dangerous (over the bars, break your hands) in more open riding...trees like back east...useful. Sierra riding seems more open, even single track. That LHRB does sound useful too. We put the TT Voyager on my bike and I like it. Flex jet is good choice. There are some farkly studs for low profiling the rear lights and turn signals you might consider but other after market options too.

Fan kit? I don't have one yet but am considering. Have Rekluse and fan on my Husky TE 310

George makes the skid plates with all the holes for cooling. Some guys think the holes cause it to hang up on the rocks. Not sure about that as I always use the smooth bottom plates (personal choice). The stock plate even looks like it will protect pretty darn good.

This is a great year for a really upgraded machine for just a little more money. For me, I will be running my 2012 520 RS into the ground! For my level of riding, the revalved 45MM Marzocchi forks are more than adequate! 

Gotcha,

I get it. Yeah, I used B&B skid plate on my Aprilia, which was big/heavy/covered everything and of course vibrated and made noise!

How does the large plastic one hold up? Does it fit over the stock aluminum?

You know there is a 2013 450rs close to me, brand new, which is very appealing. But between the BYOB price and a discounted 2013 that has the extra bling of the 2014, there is NO price difference....

As I have no issue with the 45's at all in fact I've enjoyed them and learned a lot from my Aprilia as they were on that bike. I know how good they work in a non-racing mode of riding, IF tuned properly.

George makes the skid plates with all the holes for cooling. Some guys think the holes cause it to hang up on the rocks. Not sure about that as I always use the smooth bottom plates (personal choice). The stock plate even looks like it will protect pretty darn good.

This is a great year for a really upgraded machine for just a little more money. For me, I will be running my 2012 520 RS into the ground! For my level of riding, the revalved 45MM Marzocchi forks are more than adequate! 

Hey Mark not sure if the plastic one will fit over the aluminum, but I would not suggest it as a stand alone plate. The plastic ones don't hold up in the rocks and "G" outs. As you probably know, you can deaden the noise of the aluminum be shoving foam between it and the motor.

Too bad the carbon fiber one is not out yet for the new frame design.

Ordered my 520RS last Saturday. I skipped the Rekluse clutch as I need my engine breaking for down hill rock gardens. Just waiting for the build date.

.50kg Fork Spring (191-220lbs)

5.6kg Rear Spring (200-224lbs)

Vented Heavy Duty Skid Plate

Radiator Guards

BRP Submount w/Scotts Steering Stabilizer

Dual Sport Tank Bag By Giant Loop, Black

Dual Sport Rear Rack

• Like 2

Flex jet is a good addition and axle pulls, although you can get EE ones in silver a little cheaper I think.

Big tank?

Thanks for your input Boy's

Just pulled the trigger on a new BYOB 2014 520RS, instead of the 450RS I was considering.

Now we wait.................

• Like 1

To show how dumb I am.

I thought that Beta USA changed/added all the BYOB parts out for their customers here in the states, and they received all their bikes from Italy in a standard configuration. Now I find out that my bike is being completely built in Italy for me......

Fricking Cool!

Hand built, by Florencian craftsman that have learned their crafts through the ages. The frames are carved by hand out of blocks of the finest steel. The engines designed by ancestors of Michelangelo, and the frame geometry comes from ancient scrolls found in da'Vinci's archives. 

KTM's on the other hand are punched out of pot metal in sweatshops in India by nine year old orphans. 

• Like 3

Hand built, by Florencian craftsman that have learned their crafts through the ages. The frames are carved by hand out of blocks of the finest steel. The engines designed by ancestors of Michelangelo, and the frame geometry comes from ancient scrolls found in da'Vinci's archives. 

KTM's on the other hand are punched out of pot metal in sweatshops in India by nine year old orphans. 

LMFAO!!  I'm falling out of my Lazy boy!!!

To show how dumb I am.

I thought that Beta USA changed/added all the BYOB parts out for their customers here in the states, and they received all their bikes from Italy in a standard configuration. Now I find out that my bike is being completely built in Italy for me......

Fricking Cool!

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I spoke with Beta regarding BYOB and your question/comment above, and here is the result:

4) Who does the installation of the BYOB parts? My local dealer? Beta

factory back in Italy?  Or Beta here in California? Or someone else?

A:Our team here at American Beta.