Sign in to follow this  

what do you think of this bike

When buying a bike that "just needs a new top end" prepare for a top and bottom end rebuild and maybe a replated cylinder. Add that to all the other wear items which have probably been neglected(swing arm, linkage, shock bearings). What seemed like a great deal could easily turn into a money pit fast.

I think you guys are right. I think I just need to pass on this one.

Good decision man, just go with your gut.

There is only one way to make money on craigslist with bikes.  I'll tell you the secret because it isn't really a secret. 

You have to find a hell of a deal and offer them even less then they want and you have to do absolutely nothing to the bike and then find someone to buy it for more than you paid for it. 

• Like 1

Absolutely, leave it alone.  "all the sudden" it started loosing power?  That just sounds expensive.  Top end, plating the cylinder, bottom end bearings shot, suspension never been greased I bet.  Waste of time and money unless it is your neighbor and he gives it to you.......

offer 350, its not like he is going to have other competing offers.

I bought a yz250f that was in 6 different cardboard boxes and i made 2grand off it.  if you are good at this sort of thing. Go for it.

offer 350, its not like he is going to have other competing offers.

I bought a yz250f that was in 6 different cardboard boxes and i made 2grand off it.  if you are good at this sort of thing. Go for it.

the problem i see is the bike running would be worth 7-800. if i paid 300 for it and got lucky and only did top end and fix other minor things that would be 200 in parts. he said it would need a clutch soon so lets assume it needs one now. thats another 100. that puts me at 600 into a bike that may be worth 7-8. dont really think its worth the time.