Sign in to follow this  

Just bought a DRZ, have a few questions.

Just picked up an 03 400S with higher mileage, very stock bike. It would not idle when I bought it so I pulled the carb out of the intake boot (left throttle cables hooked up) and cleaned all the jets and bowl out. I noticed one of the bowl screws holds a little spring type bracket but it was broke, do I need this? Anyways I put it back together and the bike starts, idles and runs good now after playing with the idle screw. 

The next thing I have to fix is the clutch lever. It has ALOT of slop up and down. I also noticed very very slight clutch slip when under full throttle acceleration with quick shifting. I tried to quickly set the cable up a bit better but as soon as you very very lightly touch the lever with one finger it starts moving the clutch arm on the motor so I am assuming this is why it has the slight slip. Should I just replace the clutch cable and lever? Where is a good place to order jobber parts for these bikes? My dealer is so expensive for anything. Thanks!

Wheeling Cycle Supply has lots of aftermarket parts for the Z, excellent customer service as well. The TT store or Eddie are other good sources.

The slop comes from the bike falling on that lever... You can squeeze it back together but a new perch is the only long term solution. Loosen the cable a little and see whether the clutch still slips. If so, you might need new disks... They are not expensive and easy to replace. How many miles?

And the little thingy on the carb is most likely the one that holds the idle adjuster.

Edited by signit98

The slop comes from the bike falling on that lever... You can squeeze it back together but a new perch is the only long term solution. Loosen the cable a little and see whether the clutch still slips. If so, you might need new disks... They are not expensive and easy to replace. How many miles? And the little thingy on the carb is most likely the one that holds the idle adjuster.

Thanks, it is not the one that holds the idle adjuster, it is the other one. 36,000kms on it. I will look into loosening the cable a little bit more and if that doesnt do it I will just put some new discs in.