New to me kdx220! Springs?

I just got a 2000 KDX220. I love to do tight trails, hill climbs ect, like the bike so far has more bottom end then any 2t I've ridden, not much on top it seem but that's ok. My question is on the suspension, rear seems to sag a lot and I hear of people goin to a stiffer spring. How stiff and where should I buy them? remember I don't wanna break the bank... will springs be enough or should I save and look at a whole new suspension? Like to cruise mostly but do like to kick it up at times.

I just got a 2000 KDX220. I love to do tight trails, hill climbs ect, like the bike so far has more bottom end then any 2t I've ridden, not much on top it seem but that's ok. My question is on the suspension, rear seems to sag a lot and I hear of people goin to a stiffer spring. How stiff and where should I buy them? remember I don't wanna break the bank... will springs be enough or should I save and look at a whole new suspension? Like to cruise mostly but do like to kick it up at times.

My 100 sags on me on the back. For trail it perfect, but the front suspension is were it needs to be tuned. The rear, you could adjust it to make it stiffer, softer, ect. The front, not so much. Try looking on eBay for good deals.

Not sure about your size, weight, & speed, but I have one of those bikes and I absolutely love it. ...I'd start by visiting FRPoffroad.com and read what he has about adjusting the suspension, he'd know better than anyone...[Fredette raced those things forever]  .A few adjustments, and it should work pretty good..... I'm 210lbs and ride pretty hard. Like said above, the rear is pretty tune-able, the front, not so much....I went over to race-tech's site and put in my info to see what springs are recommended, I ended up finding a kx250 spring on ebay that was really close for $30, switched it out, adjusted the rebound a little and it works really good..... The front, I just spent the money on springs. There is no rebound adjustment, so if you go a lot heavier on the springs, you'll either have to go with heavier oil, or send the forks out for a re-valve.... They have really funky valving [not your usual type of shim stack, so I'm not sure most places would cary them], so I'd be careful who you send them to, or bite the bullet and use the race-tech gold valves up front..... Unless you plan to push that thing hard, or unless you are a heavier person, you should be able to get it to work well for almost no $$$

Edited by crspep

One other thing that just annoys the heck out of me with that bike is that my boots keep getting hung up on the plastic. [where the radiator shrouds meet the seat & side panels].... you come flying into a corner and try to lift your foot off of the peg to stick your leg out, only to have the top cuff hook on the plastic.... I've nearly crashed numerous times because of this.... I'm not sure what the fix is, but I have one pair of leathers / riding pants that go over my boots rather than inside, and they appear to be the ticket  :thumbsup:

Awesome! Thanks for the tips that's what I'm looking for, I'm 6'4", 195 lbs. I dont plan to push real real hard, atleast I say that now... its only my 2nd dirtbike, had a 07 CRF450R for a cpl months, and wanted more of a woods bike. Ill read up on the sites and decide what to do about the fronts

Also I mentioned the rear because it seemed to sag quite a bit when I sat on it... Guess maybe some adjustments would solve that?

Yeah, It seems like the linkage ratio on these seem to be softer in the beginning of the stroke than my more moto type bikes. I run the rear sag at near zero [no weight on it] because of that and my weight, and I'm tall like you.... I makes sense to me that they may have engineered it that way because it would be more supple in the rocky stuff that you would encounter trail riding..... I bothers me most when i move it around in the garage [that its not like the other bike,]   I even recharged the shock thinking it must've been low on nitrogen or something..... But that thing rips out on the trail..... It still doesn't like the big G-outs when you're abusing it, but it more than makes up for it everywhere else...... I'll eventually get the setup nailed down, or stop riding this thing like a mad man.

P.S...... I don't think some people realize that the springs settle over time. I've bought a couple of used bikes that had so much sag in the back that I couldn't figure out how they could ride it [unless they were short, or set it up to teach junior how to ride]....... I often wonder if they were selling it because it handled like crap.... Oh well, easy fix, and a good deal for me

Edited by crspep