2008 YZ250f - Street Legal SuMo (Even worth the time?)

Hey all,

I have a YZ250f sitting in my basement, with no way to get the thing to the track anymore, and its just sitting collecting dust, I had the thought to see if I can turn the thing into a street legal Supermoto I can take on the back roads every other weekend, I'll summarize pretty easily and quickly, and hopefully this thread will be useful for anyone else who has the question.

1.) Is this honestly even worth spending $1,000 to buy a nice quality conversion kit on a dirtbiking race engine? Will the engine hold up if I have to get on the highway for 2 minutes and get off an exit?

2.) And has anyone successfully tried this? I looked around and found a couple of conversion kits like the one listed on this site 

http://www.motostrano.com/Supermoto-Conversion-Kit-The-Street-Legalizer-p/kit-street-legal.htm

But I'm not 100% on if this is the correct way to really get the thing running in a state where I won't be calling someone to pick up me and a stranded bike.

3.) Security, obviously the thing doesn't have a key start, carrying around a backpack with a sturdy lock so if I run in somewhere I can lock the thing and leave it for a short amount of time, obviously falls into people's comfort zone, I'm rather alright with it personally.

Thank you to anyone who can help, just a dude who'd rather spend 1k then 4500 if I can get some fun on the back roads and make a trip into town on a supermoto.

- Necro

Edited by NecroSM

It would be a blast, but trips will be short

The engine will last longer living on tarmac vs. living in dirt, as long as you don't bounce it off of the rev limiter and you change the oil religously!!

The engine will last longer living on tarmac vs. living in dirt, as long as you don't bounce it off of the rev limiter and you change the oil religously!!

Great to hear, I was quite afraid people would tell me I'm insane for thinking it, just need to do a bit more research, and figure out exactly what I'll be needing, stator, etc, the engine was my main concern with the whole build, very glad to have some assurance :)

Edited by NecroSM