Sign in to follow this  

Clutch issue HELP!

I have a 06 and I just tore the bike apart to replace the water pump and counter balancer seals and bearings. During all this my shifting rod slid in somehow and somehow the shift lever on the clutch side slipped under the bolt it goes around to shift gears, I discovered this after I took the clutch off. After I fixed this issue I put everything back together, bike cranked up fine, no leaking. Then I went for a test ride and when shifting into first the bike jumps and stalls out like the clutch is not grabbing at all. I've took the clutch apart over and over looking for something I missed. I had all the clutch plates inline with the black marks each of them had. Im stumped. Any suggestions?

That sounds like the clutch is not releasing when you pull in the clutch lever, not sure why but that sounds like as if you just put it in gear without pulling in the lever so somehow your cluch plates are not releasing.  And by the way how many hours on your 06 and what oil have you been using in the transmission side?  My WP replace on 06 went fine and I am just wondering how long the balancer bearings last, the WP bearing and the oil side seal were fine but the WP shaft was a bit polished up in 4 spots (seal lip contact spots).  I bet it would have ran again but why risk haveing to do it again for $40 more.  I replaced it all for around 100 from Rocky Mountain and now I see the OEM Honda kits on E-bay with shaft for $75 w shipping so next time I will know better.

Edited by ramjetV8

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1378443341.967826.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1378443365.801619.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1378443381.384730.jpg

Anything here throwing up any red flags? Some of the gears didn't seems to be flush but to my knowledge they are as far back as they can go and the manual I downloaded said the two plates without yellow go on the front and back but these don't have yellow they have green half marks and a solid black mark on one piece of each plate. Anything?

That sounds like the clutch is not releasing when you pull in the clutch lever, not sure why but that sounds like as if you just put it in gear without pulling in the lever so somehow your cluch plates are not releasing. And by the way how many hours on your 06 and what oil have you been using in the transmission side? My WP replace on 06 went fine and I am just wondering how long the balancer bearings last, the WP bearing and the oil side seal were fine but the WP shaft was a bit polished up in 4 spots (seal lip contact spots). I bet it would have ran again but why risk haveing to do it again for $40 more. I replaced it all for around 100 from Rocky Mountain and now I see the OEM Honda kits on E-bay with shaft for $75 w shipping so next time I will know better.

Not sure I bought it used. Guys dads bought it new and rode it for two years before he got sick. Been sitting every since in his garage he said. Kid had a yz250 and was straight scared of this bike BUT I felt a Tinny bit on play and it was getting a little noisy at low rpm so I replaced the bearings in the cb. Bearing and seal are 15 bucks total at Honda shop and got the rest off of eBay shaft bearing seals and gaskets for like 50 bucks total. I put the bike back together and can get it to roll(stiff) with the clutch pulled in in first SO I guess I'll see in the morning ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1378447648.123435.jpg

how did push rod slide all the way in ? you need to look on the opposite side where the clutch actuator arm is. There is a holding tab that fits in the groove of the shift arm (that the clutch cable attaches to). Remove that and pull the actuator arm upward, then tilt the bike or use a small telescopic magnet to get the clutch push rod pulled out. put the actuator arm down and in place about where it would be if connected and put the push rod in.

you were sure to line up the dots of the balancer gear and the similar sized drive gear right ? (the 2 dots should be right together on the 2 gears) not doing so will make the engine vibrate something horrible..

Edited by MELK-MAN

how did push rod slide all the way in ? you need to look on the opposite side where the clutch actuator arm is. There is a holding tab that fits in the groove of the shift arm (that the clutch cable attaches to). Remove that and pull the actuator arm upward, then tilt the bike or use a small telescopic magnet to get the clutch push rod pulled out. put the actuator arm down and in place about where it would be if connected and put the push rod in.

you were sure to line up the dots of the balancer gear and the similar sized drive gear right ? (the 2 dots should be right together on the 2 gears) not doing so will make the engine vibrate something horrible..

I marked on both sides where the balancers were before i pulled them I think either I had the pressure plate torqued too far down or the plates just needed to be re-lubed. I got I'm hummin now tho! But if I have any more problems ill be sure to keep this in mind! Much appreciated!

I marked on both sides where the balancers were before i pulled them I think either I had the pressure plate torqued too far down or the plates just needed to be re-lubed. I got I'm hummin now tho! But if I have any more problems ill be sure to keep this in mind! Much appreciated!

There are dots on the gears, you don't mark them yourself.. there is a good photo in the owners manual. Torquing down the pressure plate spring screws too much won't do anything but strip the holes in the center hub, and nothing needs "re-lubed" as it gets oil slinging around from the basket and sloshing around.. but hey, it's working.

There are dots on the gears, you don't mark them yourself.. there is a good photo in the owners manual. Torquing down the pressure plate spring screws too much won't do anything but strip the holes in the center hub, and nothing needs "re-lubed" as it gets oil slinging around from the basket and sloshing around.. but hey, it's working.

I was saying I marked it as in I marked where the balancers were so I had a reference point to put them back in the exact position they were when I took them out. I think maybe me laying the plates on rags when I removed them might have dried them out or somethin and I noticed where someone on here had the same issue with the clutch and resolved it by re torquing them so I just lock tightened them and didn't put a whole lot of pressure wrenching them down. Anyways she's rippin now!

appreciate the help man!