Getting rid of the headshake

Do any of you notice the headshake on these bikes? I tolerated it up until now. I'm looking for a fix. I heard by word of mouth that the steering stem nut should be tightened down. How much though? Also, are there any other fixes? When the track gets rough I'm basically doing a tank slapper all the way down the straights. I thank my lucky stars its not as rigid as the 2013. I couldn't even imagine that. Anyway, I still have the stock front tire on there which is shit but tires don't make that much of a difference to me. Would increasing the offset of triple clamps make it better? If it did would my cornering suffer? Thanks in advance

Hey perk. Tightening the steering nut with the bike on a stand,just until you notice tension helps. Also,the moving the forks down in the clamps makes a big difference. Last, adjusting sag and backing out the high speed on the shock will make the bike settle more.

• Like 2

quote name="perkybewbs" post="11028306" timestamp="1378482866"]What torque spec for the nut? Did you move them down to flush with the clamp?

No specific torque spec-you can feel when it has resistance. Must snug it up a bit. You can go flush with clamps. I personally prefer a bike that has head shake. I know that may sound odd,but when it shakes a bit...you know you got a good turning setup. Its always a compromise. Impossible to have both. The issue is,if you set a bike up so it has good straight line stability,they tend to push in corners. Typically,just small tweaks to sag or fork height will at least tame the shake.

• Like 2

Suppose your right C I'm going to get my suspension done pretty soon. It's possible that it will cut it down a bit. My suspension is stock. It has worked ok so far. I've been really procrastinating about having it done

Side note: can you use a honda steering damper on a suzuki? I saw a video with douche Ryan Hughes running what looks to be a honda steering stabilizer on his rmz450? Maybe there's one I'm unaware of that looks the same? That would def help but don't want that big ass Scott's unit sitting on top of my bars waiting to bash my chin in at any given moment, not to mention I don't have the cash either.

Edited by perkybewbs

I actually had the kit on my 350SXF for a short while and then pulled it when I sold it.  I haven't felt a need for it since I got the suspension done.  I was going to sell the entire kit.  I wonder if Ride would trade me damper brackets.....anyway if you want to experiment let me know and I will give you a good deal. :ride:

I should take a look and see if maybe I can somehow fab up a mount but I am not a tig welder :( 

They don't make it for a suzuki

I just went on their site.  It looks like they have the bracket for the 13-14 450...and they require you to have the Ride clamps as well....that kinda sucks.

I wonder if there is a way to fab the $100 Ride bracket to the RMZ 250/450 clamps. Anybody have any info?

I actually called them and they cussed me out for asking about it. I don't even care about it that much anymore. I asked the guy politely if they made the bracket for my bike and he started getting an attitude with me. Later I asked what the difference was between a 12 and a 13 was and he just let it fly. He called my bike old and started cussing me out. I pledge to never ever buy anything from those turds ever. I hope that some of you would do the same. All I did was call them and try to talk to them about mounting a steering stabilizer to my bike and I got cussed out. Never in my life have I been treated in such a way for inquiring to buy something from someone.

I actually called them and they cussed me out for asking about it. I don't even care about it that much anymore. I asked the guy politely if they made the bracket for my bike and he started getting an attitude with me. Later I asked what the difference was between a 12 and a 13 was and he just let it fly. He called my bike old and started cussing me out. I pledge to never ever buy anything from those turds ever. I hope that some of you would do the same. All I did was call them and try to talk to them about mounting a steering stabilizer to my bike and I got cussed out. Never in my life have I been treated in such a way for inquiring to buy something from someone.

who did you call? You never said who

Well, if we are hearing the truth then its safe to say, Nobody should be talked down to like this. It's disrespectful and down right dangerous. But we gotta assume that maybe something really bad is taking place in the aggressors life too. So maybe we shouldnt take it personal. Call another day and if result is the same, then tear his ash up lol;)