Sign in to follow this  

Are the YZ250s now too old....?

270 mm rotor (irp)

With the oversized front rotor, do you ride any trails on your YZ?  I'm real keen to put one on my YZ, but I fear bending it on a rock, and I don't think the typical front rotor cover would do anything significant to protect it.

I raced in the Red Bull Last Dog Standing Hard Enduro, on a 2005 YZ with 2006 suspension.  I won first in class, cant suck that bad, I can tell you I passed TONS of orange bikes that were boiling like tea kettles! 

Things I would change, maybe better front brake, but not a big deal, it works for me, I have owned over 15 bikes (off-road) and the YZ is my favorite so far generally speaking.  It does everything relatively well. Yes my CRF works better in the desert, but not nearly as good in tight stuff, where the YZ could be fine both places

With the oversized front rotor, do you ride any trails on your YZ?  I'm real keen to put one on my YZ, but I fear bending it on a rock, and I don't think the typical front rotor cover would do anything significant to protect it.

It should be fine,  A stock ktm front rotor is 260mm I believe, might even be 270, and they seem to cope with offroad just fine.  And front rotor covers have never done squat except stop roost.  The carbon fider guard from lightspeed could help. But i have never run a front guard in mx or offroad. Pretty much anything that tacos the 270mm rotor will also wreck the stock 250mm. Its rare that the 270 is in the way when the stock wouldnt have been.

I know someone out there makes a billet "shark fin" for protecting the front rotor but i dont remember who, scotts? pro moto billet? brp?

• Like 1

I just bought a 2013 Brand New YZ250.  I love the bike because 1)  It's a two stroke and 2) because the bike has a reputaion for being super relialbe.  I've had the bike for 4 or 5 months...and am real happy about my decision to buy it.  One guy told me what a nice bike I had...he went on to say to bad that they dont update it...make it look more modern.  Right then I knew that the bike was a keeper.  You see...i like being a little different, and the way I see it is that the YZ250 with the older stying in the fenders and side panels...ect...makes the bike different in that ALL the other brands plastics are starting to look the same to me.

I get a lot of compliments on that bike...The bike is 100 % stock...and I lug it...pretty much use it for casual trail riding and always starts...(no more than 3 kicks, usually 2), have never fouled a plug...the bike is a beast!!  Tried and tested.

just my 2c :ride:

As long as you have fun, it doesnt matter what brand you are riding. If the guy with you is making fun of your brand, style or skill....find someone else to ride with. It's that you ride, not what you ride. Forums are filled with trolls who's goal is it to get under people's skin, ignore that. Also instead of trying to change someone's opinion, just go ride. That will be all from me in this thread.

• Like 1