Sign in to follow this  

Is wd 40 ok to use insteaad of brake fluid ?

i was in my dads garage and i thought i would clean my 100,(my brother was already washing his car),so i took the pressure washer from him and i washed it,then i drove it and the front brake started speeking so i quickly sprayed wd 40 on,i hope i didnt brake it,i wasnt thinking,so,is it broken or not ?

i was in my dads garage and i thought i would clean my 100,(my brother was already washing his car),so i took the pressure washer from him and i washed it,then i drove it and the front brake started speeking so i quickly sprayed wd 40 on,i hope i didnt brake it,i wasnt thinking,so,is it broken or not ?

This. is. epic.

And no its not broken, but you should really not spray oil on brake components lmao.  Cean the oil off and it will be fine.

• Like 2

broken? no.... i assume you just sprayed the rotor part? spray with contact cleaner/brake cleaner and wipe off

Not good..... you'll have to get some brake cleaner and clean that really well.,,, It still may not work as well as it did before..... getting oil out of brake pads and out of the pores of the disk is rather difficult.

Agreed on the above,   never let WD40 get on your pads/rotors/calipers if you can avoid it....now your def not stopping.

Get some brake cleaner and get some help making sure you coat your entire brake assembly right away and take it easy when u ride the bike again until your sure the brakes are at 100%.

P.S.     its completely fine for your brakes to squeak when applied after its wet from a wash. Let it dry next time.

Probably be one of the worst things to spray on your brakes Hahaha. You'll need to take your brake pads out and clean them thoroughly as well as the discs.

PFFFFFFTTT. Brakes just slow you down. Lube em up good with synthetic oil, it takes heat better. Grease your grips and Armor All the seat while you're at it.

• Like 2

PFFFFFFTTT. Brakes just slow you down. Lube em up good with synthetic oil, it takes heat better. Grease your grips and Armor All the seat while you're at it.

your joking of course 

but you do see where We are  with the WD40 logic ? 

and you forgot to shine up the tires  as well as the seat    LOL

Sell the xr and buy a two stroke cuz 4stroke blow up every 5 hours jk just take the front wheel of and clean the inside of the brake drum with brake cleaner

I love threads like this. Thanks op for the laugh. :lol:

Is this a real thread or a troll? This can't be real.....nobody with any common sense would spray their brakes with a water displacing lubricant....right? :excuseme:

Just take the brakes apart and soak with Brake cleaner(the drum & the brake shoes) and clean paper towels then you'll be good, it's no different then getting the packing oil off new vehicle rotors or drums,

Lesson learned