Sign in to follow this  

Time to upgrade? 08 to 11-12 250 exc?

I love my 08 250xc. It's been a great bike, and for the type of riding I do (mostly single track woods) this bike is a real weapon. I have put a lot of money into it, added E start, revalved the suspension, replated the cylinder, it's got a fresh top end and everything.

The problem is this bike is starting to show its age, it needs new plastics, a new wheel set, and is starting to look pretty beat up. I could spent another $500-1000 freshening it up, or I could sell it and get myself a used 2011 or 2012 exc. I really want the clear tank and the ability to put a plate on it. Even though I won't be riding it in the street it would be so nice to connect the trails. And I could probably make this happen for $2000 or so.

So is it worth the upgrade? I've never ridden the newer 2 strokes, is the chassis and suspension much improved? The other bike I've been eyeing is a 500 exc, but that's another story.

Up till 2011 on the EXCs (which are the street legal models and are only 4ts in Canada, the XCWs are the non street legal models and come in 2t and 4t) is the same body style as your 08.....In 2012 the XCW/EXC models were changed to the more current style you see now. That being said, the more current models handle better and just more refined. The motors are about the same, the suspension is improved but not life altering.....The more current models have the 6spds and electric start......

And you cannot insure a offroad only vehicle in BC and AB. There are ways that people have gotten around it but if the bike is ever found out, you lose the motorcycle OR if you got into a accident, the insurance company will not cover you and will possibly cancel other vehicle that you might have insured. Walk into any dealer and ask......It isn't worth the risk after its all said and done....

Is it worth it after its all said and done, IMO no....$1500 or less could go a long way into making your bike a killer machine....A Rekluse, a clear tank, plastics would make your bike as good if not better then whats out there....