Seat bouncing

How do you know when you have to seat bounce a jump I'm just starting to hit bigger jumps and i hear people say ohh ya you gotta seat bounce that but if I'm clearing it whats the need to seat bounce?

You seat bounce when you can't clear the jump. It is usually a jump coming out of a corner. It is a good idea at first to only do it on nicely curved sweeping jumps as opposed to kickers. 

If you're clearing it there's no reason to seat bounce.  What a seat bounce does is give you a little bit more distance on a jump where you're already accelerating all the way up the face. You basically throw your weight into the shock and add throttle to keep the front wheel from diving.  It feels almost like the first part of a sit-down wheelie.

You know when you hit a jump all the time you figure out if you have to seat jump to get over it or scrub it or just fly it, etc.  Its just a feel that comes with riding.

or you can huck that some bitch

Honestly i don't seat bounce much. There just aren't many jumps you need to. Some people just aren't fast enough outta corners to jump bigger jumps like that, so they have to seat bounce. Some jumps you can just pin it and grab years to clear, you'll find that with most jumps til you hit the SX track, then you gotta learn to seat bounce....

How do you know when you have to seat bounce a jump I'm just starting to hit bigger jumps and i hear people say ohh ya you gotta seat bounce that but if I'm clearing it whats the need to seat bounce?

Seat bouncing is a good technique to use when you’re approach into a jump is short and you need more height and/or distance and/or don’t have enough time to stand up for the jump.  Since you’re sitting on the seat your body weight is going to go straight into the bike and therefore compress the rear suspension more, causing it to rebound harder and give you more lift (airtime) out of the jump.  If you were standing your legs could absorb some of the compression and rebound, keeping you lower.  When seat bouncing clutch and throttle control are very important and usually pulling back on the bars at the right time is also important for these two things are what control whether your front end is high or low.  You see, you have to deliver the power to the rear wheel just right with the clutch and throttle as that rear wheel compresses into the jump and rebounds out of the jump.  This is an advanced technique and even then can only be used on short approaches where you’re accelerating all the way through the compression part of the jump.  The jump face also has to be smooth with no kickers in it. 

Check out my All About Jumps and Whoops DVD for all the details. Now 50% off. http://www.gsmxs.com/dvds/volume-2/dvd-3-all-about-jumps-whoops or better yet my newer DVD Volume 3 DVD # 7 Seat Bouncing and Launching Techniques; http://www.gsmxs.com/dvds/volume-3/vo3-dvd-7-motocross-absorb-scrub-whip-jumping-techniques See a free preview and order or Stream online. 

VP-2011-Everything copy.jpg