Sign in to follow this  

Tool packs

What kind of tools and extra parts do you guys carry with you during a hare scramble incase anything happens

I carry spark plug and plug wrench, pair of pliers, screw driver with multiple bits, pair of vise grips, I had an  old timer tell me if u get in a bind u can use those as a clutch or brake handle or even a shifter or rear brake pedal, I havn't had to try it tho lol. prob be handy to carry a 1/4 rachet with 8 and 10mm sockets,

• Like 1

Ok thanks i got a 4-stroke so i wont need plugs and damn thats agood idea haha what about inner tubes

I take an extra front and rear inner tube but leave them at the trailer, also I take a patch kit and tire spoons along, air compressor, I actually have a storage tote I put all my extra parts in, when I replace  the brakes or a lever that's reuseable I just throw it in the tote they could come in handy someday at least to get you thru the rest of a day ride.

• Like 1

I used to carry a tool pack full of tools, but when I began maintaining my bike better and combing over it after every ride, I've never needed a single tool in over 150 hrs of riding.  Not to say that I won't eventually need tools, I'm sure I will, but prevents the necessity of tools.

I still carry the tool kit on "adventure rides," the rides that take us waaay away from the truck, middle of nowhere kinda stuff where we ride 30 miles, gas up at a po-dunk small town station and ride back.  Here's the list of stuff I carry on those rides:

• Pliers/wire cutters combo
  • 27 mm wrench/spark plug wrench combo
  • 6, 8, 10, 13 mm sockets
  • 8, 10, 13 mm wrench combos
  • Motion Pro screw driver/1/4" hand ratchet combo
  • Zip ties
  • 21" heavy duty tube
  • CO2 canisters

You never know when you'll get a flat even with heavy duty tubes, and I've saved a whole day of riding (not to mention the time to get truck to the bike) by having that 21" tube.. it can be ran in the rear no problem.  I'm honestly more concerned about some guy I'm riding with getting a flat tire, because some people aren't smart enough to use heavy duty tubes in the woods.  I've given tubes to guys in a crew of riders who I don't even know many times, just pay it forward kind of thing. 

• Like 1

I've heard of the c02 canisters thought about tryin them out. Im also with u I keep my bike maintained pretty well so I havn't had to use the tools on the trail either, for the last couple years.

Oh and I also carry small tire irons.  All my tools/tubes etc plus 100 oz of water weight my back down prolly 12-15 lbs, but I'm not racing.  In racing I don't carry tools bc if there's an issue, my race is done for anyway and someone will come along to help me either repair the bike or tow it into the next checkpoint. 

I carry spark plug and plug wrench, pair of pliers, screw driver with multiple bits, pair of vise grips, I had an  old timer tell me if u get in a bind u can use those as a clutch or brake handle or even a shifter or rear brake pedal, I havn't had to try it tho lol. prob be handy to carry a 1/4 rachet with 8 and 10mm sockets,

When I was young and poor, the shift lever on my Kawasaki 175 was a pair of vice grips.  Occasionally it would catch on something and drop off.  I knew to stop when I heard that telltale clang.

• Like 1

Black tape, safety wire, crescent wrench, 8, 10, 12, 14, 17mm wrenches and sockets, flex bar, an extension, allens, phillips screwdriver, needle nose pliers, sometimes extra gas, pb&j, and a pint of Black Velvet. If I can walk back to the pits, I don't pack anything. Its not worth it to me to pack a tube and irons, or change a flat in the field. I'll ride out on a flat.

I recommend everyone rides with cable ties/zip locks... 

They saved our ride when my friends throttle cable snapped on the his yz250... 

And we didnt have a replacement cable... 

942130_10151461989575823_122617163_n.jpg