Sign in to follow this  

Front wheel/fork alignment

Hello,

First of all, granny moped got some 17" TKC80's.. granny tracktor.  :thumbsup:

Is it normal that there's a small gap between the fork and collar (see image, red arrow). I found I had to push the forks really hard together to fill the gap and it's still not perfect. Can my sand crash have affected it slightly?

gap.jpg

tkc.jpg

• Like 1

Everything like manual says. Pinch bolts loose, tighten axle fully. Now there's like a 5mm gap and I have to push the fork in while tightening the pinch bolts.. can't get the gap smaller than 1mm. If I loosen the bolts, the fork wants to pop outwards again, so there's slight pressure.. too bad I didn't check if there was gap before removing the wheel.

edit: Crash

here.. I did dive my front wheel, though it was quite slow and soft sand.. Edited by Hege

You DO NOT want to squeeze the forks together under any circumstances, period. Doing so will bind your forks, causing premature seal and bushing wear and harsh fork action. 

Get the front wheel off the ground, loosen both pinch bolts. Then make sure the axle is tightened down and the wheel spins thru front brake freely.

Then put the bike back on the ground, grab the front brake and compress the forks up and down several times- this will properly align the forks.

When your done with that tighten the pinch bolts down to the specified torque listed in your manual.

What ever gap's left is simply what it is- a gap.

I've noticed on my bike that the smooth part of the axle just before the nut-end is almost flush with the outside of the clamp. From your pic, looks like your about an 1/8th of an inch squeezed in.

• Like 3

another stupid question ...... could you have gotten the left and right spacers mixed up ? 

I only ask because when I took my front wheel off they looked the same but I made sure to slide them on the axle so I would not mix them up when I got my wheel back from the shop. 

• Like 1

another stupid question ...... could you have gotten the left and right spacers mixed up ? 

I only ask because when I took my front wheel off they looked the same but I made sure to slide them on the axle so I would not mix them up when I got my wheel back from the shop. 

They are the same- if they were different and put in wrong, the brake would bind..

Edited by turnbuckle

You DO NOT want to squeeze the forks together under any circumstances, period. Doing so will bind your forks, causing premature seal and bushing wear and harsh fork action. 

Get the front wheel off the ground, loosen both pinch bolts. Then make sure the axle is tightened down and the wheel spins thru front brake freely.

Then put the bike back on the ground, grab the front brake and compress the forks up and down several times- this will properly align the forks.

When your done with that tighten the pinch bolts down to the specified torque listed in your manual.

What ever gap's left is simply what it is- a gap.

I've noticed on my bike that the smooth part of the axle just before the nut-end is almost flush with the outside of the clamp. From your pic, looks like your about an 1/8th of an inch squeezed in.

Pretty much what I did all the second chapter...

But yeah you are right, compressing the forks is probably bad. I doubt the spacers are different? But I'll try to swap them also. If I let them be without compressing, it's exactly like you said flush nut-end / clamp.

So a largish gap is actually fine? It doesn't suck dust in or something? Hmm I guess it doesn't since the bearings are long way from it.. and I greased the axle so I guess it's pretty airtight in the collar.

edit: I feel stupid, but I still have memories "fixing" my moped 15+ years ago and somehow my front wheel to locked itself while driving.. :naughty:

Edited by Hege

Pretty much what I did all the second chapter...

But yeah you are right, compressing the forks is probably bad. I doubt the spacers are different? But I'll try to swap them also. If I let them be without compressing, it's exactly like you said flush nut-end / clamp.

So a largish gap is actually fine? It doesn't suck dust in or something? Hmm I guess it doesn't since the bearings are long way from it.. and I greased the axle so I guess it's pretty airtight in the collar.

edit: I feel stupid, but I still have memories "fixing" my moped 15+ years ago and somehow my front wheel to locked itself while driving.. :naughty:

The fat collar on the axle is what's pushing the spacer into the wheel, not the fork leg.

Question; Are those aftermarket wheels and hubs? If so, after setting the forks correctly is the spacer still sliding back & forth on the axle?

If there is a lot of play in the spacer, and you've done everything correctly, could be the aftermarket hub is narrower than the stocker, creating slop.

Make sure you clean all the excess grease off real good, or it'll mix with dirt and turn into grinding paste- not cool...

Here's an example of the front wheel..

Capture_zpsd15d98f3.jpg

Edited by turnbuckle
  • Like 3

Thanks for the explanation, I see now that the fat part pushes the collar. So everything is good, asymmetric things just happen to bother me. ;)

Here's a few pics for the archive.. you can see 4mm of the fat part. Happy driving. :ride:

a1.jpg

a2.jpg

I too had fun with the front end on one of my bikes today.. With 4, there's always something to do.

Today was "Fork day" on the 450..

fork001_zps393588b3.jpg

• Like 3

Hello,

First of all, granny moped got some 17" TKC80's.. granny tracktor. :thumbsup:

Is it normal that there's a small gap between the fork and collar (see image, red arrow). I found I had to push the forks really hard together to fill the gap and it's still not perfect. Can my sand crash have affected it slightly?

Hey hege, how do you like those TKC 80's? I know they come stock on some bigger bikes like BMW and KTM. I was curious how they performed on smaller bikes.

Thanks

• Like 1

Hey hege, how do you like those TKC 80's? I know they come stock on some bigger bikes like BMW and KTM. I was curious how they performed on smaller bikes.

Thanks

I'm not an authority to say since they are my first knobbies but..

- It's nice that they are one of the few real front 17's (120/70)

- The rear 130/80/17 barely fits but it's fine (almost 2cm wider than the stock street 130/70/17...)

- I'm more confident going faster in gravel etc since rear is now the first one to slip (but I can't compare to any other knobbies..)

- I don't notice much difference to my street tires at even 75mph, also I can corner just as hard

- If they last as long as people say, that's a nice bonus..

• Like 2

I was greasing my bike before the riding season. Greased my front axle and had the same gap explained here. It almost seems that the forks were pushed together from the factory. Everything is tight and spins good so I am rolling with it. Just is a little wider than than it came from the shop.

I was greasing my bike before the riding season. Greased my front axle and had the same gap explained here. It almost seems that the forks were pushed together from the factory. Everything is tight and spins good so I am rolling with it. Just is a little wider than than it came from the shop.

Same here 

• Like 1

LOL... i love this place... i just noticed the other day the same thing about mine... i took a picture and was gonna post and ask about it... i have a space in it just like yours... i took it all apart and put it back together again... same thing... the space is what the space is...   so i gather it is ok...  my wheel spins freely and at 80mph i don't notice anything...  so i figure it was good and called it a day...

IMG_20140520_241416_760.jpg

Maybe you already know this, but after you tighten the axle, leave the two pinch bolts in your pic loose, hold the front brake and bounce the front suspension up and down pretty good a bunch of times, then tighten the pinch bolts.  This helps align the fork on the axle before you tighten everything up.

Edited by Tro1086
  • Like 1

yes sir, that is what i did... 2 different times and same result...  so i am not going to argue with it too much...   don't know if you were telling me because i just posted the picture, but i will answer you anyways...  lol

I was tellin you, or anyone who will listen haha.  I figured you already knew that step, but ya never know.  Maybe it will help someone else reading this haha.

• Like 2