Sign in to follow this  

2002 KTM 250f EXC ($1750) vs 2007 Kawasaki KLX 300R ($2700)

Looking to buy a four stroke as my first bike. Im 6'1" 160lbs. The ktm was rebuilt 3 years ago to 300 cc. Both are in my price range. KTM is older but much cheaper so the money saved could go towards repairs. EXC has electric start, KLX doesn't. The KLX looks like it is in perfect condition (kbb 2000 thou). Any thoughts, thanks.

KTM ad: http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/mcy/3929212573.html

Kawa ad: http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/mcy/4049006498.html

Screen Shot 2013-09-05 at 7.48.56 PM.png

Edited by ripitrab

Looks like the KLX is no longer an option.

What are you looking to do with the bike?  Do you want a dual sport or do you want a trail bike? 

what do you mean no longer an option?

mainly trail but I might want to plate it down the line

Oh that is weird....when I first clicked the ad it said flagged for removal and I couldn't see anything but now it is up.  Let me take a look.

Edited by DirtSmoker250

The KLX does look super nice.  As long as you are not racing it would be a decent trail bike.  I will say you can buy a KLX250s which is already platted for around that price.  It is going to be heavier and have less power but it is already street legal.  Some states it is really easy to get a road title for dirt bikes and some states it is a pain in the arse.  I would do some research to see how difficult it will be in your state to plate the 300 before I bought it.

I would probably stay away from the KTM. 

check out the KTM, the RFS motor is sweet but it's gonna need some work, the wr is probably the best choice, I've rode the same year yzf and it has an excellent motor. The Kawi is not going to compete with the KTM or Yamaha. All used 250f's are something to be cautious about they are usually ran hard and poorly maintained by young riders.