Metal particles on drain bolt?

What is the normal amount of metal particles on the magnet of the drain bolt?

My drz has 8500km and this seemed to be worst this time. It's all very small like a grey past, no brass color or big metal nuggets.

1378484953230.jpg

1378484965032.jpg

How many miles (or km) since your last oil change and was the drain bolt cleaned last time you changed the oil?

2000km since my last oil change and yes I clean my magnet every time I change my oil.

I wouldnt worry about that, its hard to pick out the metal particles in that picture but you will know when there are peices of metal too big to be normal.

What is the normal amount of metal particles on the magnet of the drain bolt?

My drz has 8500km and this seemed to be worst this time. It's all very small like a grey past, no brass color or big metal nuggets.

ive done over 25 oil change since march 2012..and every oil change has had that much in metal it..my sm has almost 43,000miles

Whilst that's the most I would want to see, your going to always gets some.

The springs in the back of the clutch basket, the basket itself, clutch disks, transmission gears, starter gear, ect all will shed a little as the grind, bang away.

Your next oil change will be a good indication of any issues

Metal on the drain plug is pretty normal. The oil coming out of every two stroke i've ever had was scary. My sons smaller bikes that didn't get beaten like mine looked better. Clutch particles are the biggest contaminator of oil. The other is transmission wear. Since motorcycles have real ball bearings in the crankcase (unlike automotive engine bearings) they can put up with more debris in the oil.

Ok I guess I won't worry ti much for now! Thank for the responses.

When you have suspicions about contaminants in the oil you can send in a sample of the used oil to a lab and the analysis will alert you to potential wear problems such as bearings-lower end potential problems

Any suggestion on where to send it??

Any suggestion on where to send it??

Blackstone Labs is one I've used in the past (for my M3).... BUT, you need to take their results with a grain of salt.  If you've never sent a sample in before then you really have no basis for comparison (i.e., what is bad, unless your motor is ready to grenade).  That is to say if you regularly send in oil you can see the average levels of particulate YOUR engine produces.  Then when you see a spike in one of the samples it'll hint to potential issues.

Not saying not to do it, just be careful.

I wish more of you guys used stainless steel reusable oil filters, The amount of metal particles i see when i clean mine can quite often be frightening...

Yeah , my last oil analysis was interesting

I received a call from the lab tech personally , telling me to turn the bike off NOW ... It's going to Blow .

Many years later and the same motor keeps on rollin'

Edited by backyard hack