Top chain guard

Today I decided to clean and lube my chain for the first time.  I removed the top chain guard so that I would have more access.  I noticed that it was flimsy plastic and probably doesn't really provide much purpose other than giving Honda a place to mount the sticker to display the slack info.  I'm planning on leaving it off as I noticed that other off road Honda bikes do not come with one.  Does anybody see any reason to keep it on?

none other than keeping your pants leg from getting caught in the chain/sprocket?? :ride:

I also didn't like the stock one.

null_zps0e703829.jpg

Looks great.  I think I'd ruin that in about a minute on the trails I ride. 

Today I decided to clean and lube my chain for the first time.  I removed the top chain guard so that I would have more access.  I noticed that it was flimsy plastic and probably doesn't really provide much purpose other than giving Honda a place to mount the sticker to display the slack info.  I'm planning on leaving it off as I noticed that other off road Honda bikes do not come with one.  Does anybody see any reason to keep it on?

It just keeps chain lube and road/trail debris from spattering up on your pant leg.  And maybe keeps some twigs and stuff from getting into the chain/sprocket.

Edited by greenyone

If you chain ever snaps it will help prevent it from whipping your leg. Race bikes don't have them but, they also always have their gear on ...   :thumbsup:

It is also there to protect your passengers from putting their feet where they don't belong ....  :p

Looks great.  I think I'd ruin that in about a minute on the trails I ride. 

I went with the Zeta option as well. However, I decided to powder coat it in a satin black. One, because I prefer black to silver and two, because the coating offers some protection from dings and can easily be redone later on.

I don't like how the cheap plastic guard looks. But I leave it on because I'm a clean freak when it comes to my bikes. And it really helps keep the chain lube from flying all over the place.

I don't like how the cheap plastic guard looks. But I leave it on because I'm a clean freak when it comes to my bikes. And it really helps keep the chain lube from flying all over the place.

I will have to have a closer look but, I don't get chain lube flying around. 

I always use a good quality lube and always lube a chain while it is hot and before bedtime ...   :prof:  

I learned that trick back in the 80's ...  :ride:  ... dem was the good o'le daze ...  :thumbsup:

I will have to have a closer look but, I don't get chain lube flying around.

I always use a good quality lube and always lube a chain while it is hot and before bedtime ... :prof:

I learned that trick back in the 80's ... :ride: ... dem was the good o'le daze ... :thumbsup:

I was using Tri-Flo and it worked great. Just didn't last long but didn't fling at all. So the last can I got was Silokone (not sure on the spelling) from the KTM shop, an I put it on after a ride and it still splattered a bit. And the can says it won't fly off. Like I said, I like my bike clean. So what one guys says is no big deal, is a rag and WD40 to me.

That Zeta ones is nice!  Someday I get all of those fancy billet pieces.  I have other goodies that have higher priority for now.

I was using Tri-Flo and it worked great. Just didn't last long but didn't fling at all. So the last can I got was Silokone (not sure on the spelling) from the KTM shop, an I put it on after a ride and it still splattered a bit. And the can says it won't fly off. Like I said, I like my bike clean. So what one guys says is no big deal, is a rag and WD40 to me.

I've always kept WD-40 away from O-Rings.

I've always kept WD-40 away from O-Rings.

I never said I put wd40 on the chain. I used it to clean the lube off the wheel, hub, swing arm, and under the rear fender. Anywhere the lube flung off. It works great for cleaning.

I never said I put wd40 on the chain. I used it to clean the lube off the wheel, hub, swing arm, and under the rear fender. Anywhere the lube flung off. It works great for cleaning.

The Race Mechanic for Tuff Racing Arena Cross that worked on my bike (Tracin) said that all they use on their race bikes is transmission fluid on their chains but, they clean and lube before every race !!! 

That is not practical for us everyday cruisers. 

I can check and post a pic of the Bel-Ray I currently use that seems to be the best for longevity that I have ever used ... back in the day I always used chain wax. 

The Race Mechanic for Tuff Racing Arena Cross that worked on my bike (Tracin) said that all they use on their race bikes is transmission fluid on their chains but, they clean and lube before every race !!!

That is not practical for us everyday cruisers.

I can check and post a pic of the Bel-Ray I currently use that seems to be the best for longevity that I have ever used ... back in the day I always used chain wax.

I've had good luck with these.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1378524423.481301.jpg

I have heard nothing but good things about silkolene products ... 

post-358337-13785244214863.jpg

Sorry about that.

Sorry about that.

No need to apologize, it's all good.

I really like this stuff ...... 

Bel-Ray® Super Clean Chain Lube is an aerosol chain lube that utilizes the the latest innovation in chain lubricant technology, combining unsurpassed anti-wear protection for long chain and sprocket life with an outer protective coating that will not attract dirt, sand, or grit and ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT FLING OFF when used as directed. Suitable for all ‘O’ ‘X’ and ‘Z’ ring and roller type chains for street, off-road, and racing use. 400ml Aerosol Can.

bel-ray-super-clean-chain-lube.jpg