can't afford a ktm exc500, is a FE 570 the next best thing?

Yep as the title suggests, I am looking for a big bore and new 500's are going for 11k out the door. Used are still in the 9-10 mark. I only have 7k to play with and that can get me into a used 2011 FE 390 or 570.

I've been doing some reading but can you guys tell me a bit about these 70' bikes? Heard the handling is either funny or amazing. I am looking to convert this bike to a dualsport where I can put a bit of luggage on it and do multi day dirt rides. I'm not sure if the husabergs will handle that with the plastic subframe. Also reliability is an issue?

This would also be my coffee bike for short trips in town.

No I can't afford the 501 either obviously! :lame:

Yep as the title suggests, I am looking for a big bore and new 500's are going for 11k out the door. Used are still in the 9-10 mark. I only have 7k to play with and that can get me into a used 2011 FE 390 or 570.

I've been doing some reading but can you guys tell me a bit about these 70' bikes? Heard the handling is either funny or amazing. I am looking to convert this bike to a dualsport where I can put a bit of luggage on it and do multi day dirt rides. I'm not sure if the husabergs will handle that with the plastic subframe. Also reliability is an issue?

This would also be my coffee bike for short trips in town.

No I can't afford the 501 either obviously! :lame:

The 570 is the better bike.

• Like 1

nearest bike is 4 hours away, how do they compare riding wise? Can the 390 and the 450 comfortably cruise on the highway at 60? I'm not sure if 390 is enough power for me, I rode a friends ktm 350 and it felt a little gutless on the trails. The 450 scares me just because that number brings images of high strung MX machines with lots of maintenance involved. But I guess the 390 is just a sleeved 450?

nearest bike is 4 hours away, how do they compare riding wise? Can the 390 and the 450 comfortably cruise on the highway at 60? I'm not sure if 390 is enough power for me, I rode a friends ktm 350 and it felt a little gutless on the trails. The 450 scares me just because that number brings images of high strung MX machines with lots of maintenance involved. But I guess the 390 is just a sleeved 450?

I have the 2010 FE 450. It doesn't have the high strung, explode on you at any moment motor like the Jap MX bikes do. The power is very smooth delivery but strong. With mine, I replaced the FE chip for the one off the FX.....that created even more "snap" in the throttle response if you need or want it. On tight single track trails, it tracks and corners perfectly. The front suspension took some dialing in but just because the front end feels light due to the 70 degree motor. Some guys changed the front spring rate (heavier) to get that done. I haven't but I probably will once I start racing again in January. Otherwise, stock works good at normal cornering speeds and open trail speeds at "normal" riding pace.

It's a heavy bike at a stand still but miraculously very, very light feeling when in motion, again, due to the position of the 70 degree motor.

If I was riding a lot of pavement, I would opt for the 570. It is also more than capable off road. But, I ride single track only and the 450 is more than enough tree climbing grunt. The 450 will cruise on the highway but you'll have to change the gearing to do so, thus taking away from it's real off road roots of what it's meant for. The 570 is the way to go if your doing a good mix of both IMO.

What will your use of the bike mainly be for again?

get the 570, you won't regret it, don't mess with the small bores.

I do ride single track a lot, but I think I'll keep my 2 stroke for that. It's a 250xc that I have setup almost perfect.

This bike is more for exploring and doing longer dualsport type rides. Oh and I think I will try using it to ride out to the trails when riding with my buddies when they bring the girlfriends along, we tend to ride at a much slower pace so I don't think a heavy bike will mater much.

The 350 SX I rode had nice mid and top end. Just didn't have the bottom end grunt I was hoping for.

You'll want the 570 over the 390. As a DS bike, the 570 is a great machine and the Husabergs are as reliable as anything else out there. I had the FX 450 but it wasn't the power or reliability that made me not want it, it was the handling. As a DS bike it wouldn't have been a problem but as a racer the front end way to light for my liking....

I recently purchased a 2011 FE 570 and last weekend took it out on some very tight single track; the bike performed flawlessly.  It was a group ride and the next largest bike was 400, then a 350, 300, 250 and a 200.  I had zero issues keeping pace (even pushing it many times) and these guys are no slouches.  The bike is that good.  I came from a KTM 300 to the Berg and aside from the 2 stroke sound, I'm not missing it.  It will crawl and very low speed (I run 13/42 sprockets), climb hills like a billy goat and fly down fast trails with great speed if you want it to.  I'm in love.... ?

Edited by mgt999
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I just tried a 450 and a 570. The 450 was really surprising, it felt very tame and easy to handle. Slow speed handling was good not great. The 570 was a real handful, lots of power and really strong engine braking too, which make the bike feel really jerky. I didn't notice this on the 450 at all. The 570 felt a lot heavier handling.

I'm still stuck. I like the way the 450 rides but I know once I get on the pavement I will want that extra power.

did you read through the links above? the G2 throttle tamer or the do-it-yourself mod takes away all the snappy response on the 570. and if that isn't enough put the switch from wild to mild. they are exactly the same weight so any perceived heaviness will just be due to not coping with the snappy response or extra power which is easily fixed.

Edited by OZ DRZ

The more I read the more I want the husaberg actually. Last 2 bikes were orange maybe its time to give sometime else a shot.. although it pretty much is a blue ktm..

did you read through the links above? the G2 throttle tamer or the do-it-yourself mod takes away all the snappy response on the 570. and if that isn't enough put the switch from wild to mild. they are exactly the same weight so any perceived heaviness will just be due to not coping with the snappy response or extra power which is easily fixed.

yep, I did. Turns out the owner just geared the bike stupid crazy (12-52) which was the reason it rode like crap.

The more I read the more I want the husaberg actually. Last 2 bikes were orange maybe its time to give sometime else a shot.. although it pretty much is a blue ktm..

yep, I did. Turns out the owner just geared the bike stupid crazy (12-52) which was the reason it rode like crap.

try it with 14/48 gearing, works good in everything

older generations of husabergs had severe reliability issues, don't know if it was from poor engineering or lack of quality control, but they are known as risky bikes to own, powerful, but unreliable.

but newer generation of machines are supposed to be bulletproof from what I hear, here in norway, there's a lot of plated 570's around and I can't say I've heard anything about issues, a guy I ride with has a plated 570 he uses for dualsporting and iceriding, he doesn't flog his bike, but he is very happy with it so far, E-start, selectable ignition curves, gearing tall enough to cruise highways with and still grunt enough to go offroad, it's strong but not high-strung as a 450 would be.

if you have a choice between a 390 and a 570 at about the same price, I would get the 570, stronger, more comfortable cruising at higher speeds, isn't really that much heavier either.

I got to test my friends 570 on the ice a few years back, I can't really tell you if the bike felt smooth or was powerful since I jumped straight from my CR500 onto the husa, and everything feels smooth and weak compared to a 500cc twostroke...

but it was super-easy to ride even with the short studs he had in the rear tire.