Sign in to follow this  

Sprocket Difficulties!

Hi guys, first post here!

Got a chinese bike (i know :p), had a lot of fun over the past few years with it. 

Problem is, the chain just broke today. Was thinking of getting a different sprocket set to go with a new chain. 

Currently i have 15t front and 54 (i think) rear. I feel like 1st and 2nd gear are way too low for my needs, and that most of the time im in 5th revving the nuts off. What sprockets would you recommend? 

I also am having a hard time finding sprockets that will actually fit! Inner diameter is 64mm, bolt center is 80mm i think. Ive attached a pic.

Anyone know where to get a set, and what tooth ratio to recommend? Cheapest is best btw, dont use the bike that much!

IMG_1450.JPG

if your looking for alot more outta 1st & 2nd simply put a 420 17 tooth front sprocket on and keep rear stock. If your having chain break issues and since you need to order parts anyway. what i did was put all 428 front, rear sprockets and 428 chain holds very well with smaller bike. Hope that helped some

I had the same thing with a Flywing 150.  The gearing was WAYYYY to low.  Someone in China should have kicked been in the ass just for that.  It came with 15/60 sprockets.  This bike happened to cross to Honda sprockets, like XR180/200.  I think if you look at the JT sprockets web site, you'll find whatever fits, especially since you know all the measurements.  BTW - I ended up with 16/50 for sprockets.  A HUGE difference from OE!   I just used it for fire roads and easy trails and wanted more top speed.   It just happened that for mine, 16 tooth was as large of countershaft sprocket they carried.

Edited by motoxvet

Hi guys, first post here!

Got a chinese bike (i know :p), had a lot of fun over the past few years with it. 

Problem is, the chain just broke today. Was thinking of getting a different sprocket set to go with a new chain. 

Currently i have 15t front and 54 (i think) rear. I feel like 1st and 2nd gear are way too low for my needs, and that most of the time im in 5th revving the nuts off. What sprockets would you recommend? 

I also am having a hard time finding sprockets that will actually fit! Inner diameter is 64mm, bolt center is 80mm i think. Ive attached a pic.

Anyone know where to get a set, and what tooth ratio to recommend? Cheapest is best btw, dont use the bike that much!

attachicon.gifIMG_1450.JPG

Gary,

What year/make/model bike do you have.?

Its a Zongshen 200cc Hummer, 2007. Im thinking a 16 or 17 tooth front sprocket would do the job? Any recommendations for chains, i dont know much about the various types.

A 16 tooth may be as large as they make for countershaft.  Buy one and if that's not enough of a change, you'll have to spend a little more and change the rear.  Do you know what number chain it has?  Depending on how much you want to spend, you can buy a standard chain or spend a lot more for O-ring or X-ring.  If you don't know what these are, search TT or the net to learn.  For sprockets, go to the JT sprockets on-line catalog.  Find out which bike it matches. (Maybe XR250 or KLR250...?)  They have the actual sprocket dimensions on line.  Then, just go to a cycle parts web site (there's a bunch) and order the proper sprocket.