Would a 1980 xr80 carb work on a 1980 xl80?

XR/XL is basically the same bike except the XL was intended to be a dual sport. As such, the carb should be identical if not, interchangeable as long as the displacement is the same.

XR/XL is basically the same bike except the XL was intended to be a dual sport. As such, the carb should be identical if not, interchangeable as long as the displacement is the same.

Thank you. I'm gonna give it a shot

I see this is quite an old post but I'm curious about your results.  My bike is a little later (1984) and I know on these bikes the XL & XR use different carbs (and cams).  My understanding is that XL has a little milder state of tune (partially due to on-road emissions regulations). 

In any event, I'm considering a XR carb from Amazon due to the price and availability.  You can buy a knock-off Keihin for less that the price of a rebuild kit for the original carb.

Knock off carbs are known to deliver knock off results. Proceed with caution.

Knock off carbs are known to deliver knock off results. Proceed with caution.

I know, I know.  Another reason for my interest in changing carbs is the original carb has always been very, very cold natured.  Perhaps this has to do with the emissions legal tuning?  The XR models don't seem to be this way.

i have been told that genuine OKO carbs from taiwan are supposed be great carbs. but they are a little spendy (not like a keinhin) and aren't sold on eBay or amazon. the chinese are now making knockoffs of the knockoffs and they are junk. the OKO are supposed work very well though.

• Like 1