Sign in to follow this  

Headlight Swap

I bought an '03 Klx400r converted to a dualsport used a few months ago and it had all sorts of issues so I took care of all those problems. Now, the next big thing I would like to do is swap out the head light. On the bike is a baja style headlight, its not stock. I absolutely hate the way it looks, especially that the green is faded and when the person who did the job did a horendous job making the wires neat. I was looking into buying an OEM full head light off the newer kawi 450 as it is way more attractive. Would the newer head light fit properly? Any comments or assistance would be great!

• Like 1

the stock head light on the klx450r sucks, it has no light pattern, its just a light, get you a trail tech cyclops light it has two lights, one on top and one below, bottom light is a wide beam, the top is a spot beam, both are 35w each, the light is a uni fit, cost about $90.00

Edited by 1274
  • Like 1

It sounds like you'll most likely need some mods or fabrication to make a new headlight work. Some of the headlights available will let you select the machine they would fit, but since it's pretty much only connected at the top with 4 buggie type straps and maybe 2 tabs on the bottom you can have some adjust ability to make it work on your bike. I don't have any personal experience on the klx but on my 03 XR 400 both new models of headlight I''ve used worked fine with minor changes that didn't take too much effort.

Not DOT approved, but 2700 blasting lumens and only 30 watt draw. Using Trail Tech light switch/kill and wired straight to battery with fuse. Running Ricky Stator rewind and Alien Motion LiPo battery.

null_zps11acd731.jpg

Does it kill your battery? What light bar is that? Edited by GreenHornet450

Tuff Stuff 10" single row (5watt x 6) No, it does not kill the battery. I believe the stock light is about 35 watts...so this is less draw and ridiculously brighter. I tried the HID conversion and the bulbs are just too fickle and draw too may watts especially on start up.