Sign in to follow this  

Why's it popping?!

I got my wifes quad(raptor 350) an fmf pipe and I got it and put it on. It was popping on decel so I got a bigger pilot jet and now it's still popping? Not as bad but still is popping. I checked for air leaks at exhaust and all but nothing. Checked the gasket at header and it's good . No other leaks but jetting should be fine?

Ps I know I'm in the bike forum for a quad but the guys there are slower to respond and a motors a motor so you guys should be able to help me out.

I got my wifes quad(raptor 350) an fmf pipe and I got it and put it on. It was popping on decel so I got a bigger pilot jet and now it's still popping? Not as bad but still is popping. I checked for air leaks at exhaust and all but nothing. Checked the gasket at header and it's good . No other leaks but jetting should be fine?

Ps I know I'm in the bike forum for a quad but the guys there are slower to respond and a motors a motor so you guys should be able to help me out.

usually it's only caused by two different things 1 is an air leak in the exhaust system or two would be a lien running condition by putting a larger exhaust system on the machine if you can't find an air leak on the seams of the exhaust system then you might want to try going to a larger main jet

usually it's only caused by two different things 1 is an air leak in the exhaust system or two would be a lien running condition by putting a larger exhaust system on the machine if you can't find an air leak on the seams of the exhaust system then you might want to try going to a larger main jet

ill throw a larger mAin on an see what happens. Thanks!

Have you tried inspecting or replacing the spark plug, It could also be a symptoms that the plug is already dying thats why its popping.

Have you tried inspecting or replacing the spark plug, It could also be a symptoms that the plug is already dying thats why its popping.

I did not but I will do that now. It's just popping worse now. I'm guessing it's the change in temperature?

You can try messing with the a/f screw also

Rob

how? I have the same quad and same problem but ifk how to move the air/fuel screw. I adjusted the jetting a bunch but it didn't help a thing. Here's a pic if the air fuel screw(how do I screw it???) ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1381270265.745543.jpg

Use your imagination to CAREFULLY remove that cover from your A/F screw. I have used a drill in the past, but a wood screw and pliers may work just fine.  I would imagine you don't need the larger pilot jet.  Popping on decel is typically a lean mixture issue.  Turn your A/F screw counterclockwise a quarter turn and see if it gets better.  I adjust my A/F by riding in a straight line in second gear at half throttle.  Then I quickly release the throttle.  If my engine pops,...I turn the screw out.  If it doesn't pop, I'll turn it in til it does and then back it off around a half turn.  Good luck!!

Edited by IASPHYNX