Crf450r is my water pump going bad?

How do I know if my water pump is bad? I have pulled it apart and it looks ok.

Over heating problem during trail riding. I have looked through the forum and found different possible causes. But can't really nail anything down.

Edited by Stoutbanga

How fast are you able to go on your trails? Lack of air flow over the radiators will cause a 4t to overheat real quick.

also, are your rad fins bent? are your rads bent are your rad's clogged up? and what kc said.

How fast are you able to go on your trails? Lack of air flow over the radiators will cause a 4t to overheat real quick.

Think i read somewhere that CRF's want 7mph into the rads to stay cool. (I promise i'm not pulling that number out of my ass). 

as others already stated, you have to keep moving to cool this race bike. it heats up FAST. If you wanna know if the wp is working, with the engine COOL.. remove the rad cap. start the bike, rev the engine, you will see coolant swirling in the radiator. If the coolant level is very low, as in well below the top fins (you fill it ALL the way up it will push some out) you may have a wp seal leaking coolant out the weep hole. Do a search for that . lots and lots of threads on how to replace the wp seal and other parts if you decide to do that.

Edited by MELK-MAN

With stock gearing, 6-8mph is the limit of the bike before slipping the clutch.

That's the minimum constant speed to prevent overheating of a STOCK cooling system.

If you want to raise the boiling point, just put on a 1.6bar radiator cap.

Silcone hoses and top-notch water replacement will drop it 10 degrees too.

Any more drop in temp than that will require OS radiators, or a fan.

I went on Ebay and bought a pair of chinese high quality oversized radiators for $73.00 and a set of silicone hoses for $17.00 and a jug of Water Wetter at Cycle Gear and now my 2011 CRF no longer over heats at all. Made a HUGE difference and I ride alot of trails where it is narrow switchbacks on the side of a cliff and impossible to go fast. Those Chinese radiators are actually really well built and also take spills better than the stock ones.

I went on Ebay and bought a pair of chinese high quality oversized radiators for $73.00 and a set of silicone hoses for $17.00 and a jug of Water Wetter at Cycle Gear and now my 2011 CRF no longer over heats at all. Made a HUGE difference and I ride alot of trails where it is narrow switchbacks on the side of a cliff and impossible to go fast. Those Chinese radiators are actually really well built and also take spills better than the stock ones.

i have all this, and it is still possible to overheat these things.. i was impressed with the chinese rads though for sure. 320ml vs 210ml capacity (i measured :) ) so 50% more capacity.

As we have all stated, they key is to KEEP MOVING or shut the bike off.

Edited by MELK-MAN

what do the silicon hoses do to cool the bike ?

they dont hold as much heat.

Make it look cool

i have all this, and it is still possible to overheat these things.. i was impressed with the chinese rads though for sure. 320ml vs 210ml capacity (i measured :) ) so 50% more capacity.

As we have all stated, they key is to KEEP MOVING or shut the bike off.

I don't think shutting the bike off is actually the best idea. Once you shut the motor off you have nothing keeping it cool and the heat just stays within the motor. It's the same as a turbo. You should never ever turn the engine off after a race (or any other scenario where the engine becomes really hot) as the turbo can't get rid of the heat and will eventually damage it, which is why people use turbo timers. If my bike starts to get really hot while waiting on a track for others to catch up etc, I let it idle for a minute then shut it off. That's just my thought, you may or may not agree.

Edited by Adrian_94

I don't think shutting the bike off is actually the best idea. Once you shut the motor off you have nothing keeping it cool and the heat just stays within the motor. It's the same as a turbo. You should never EVER turn the engine off after a race (or any other scenario where the engine becomes really hot) as the turbo can't get rid of the heat and will eventually damage it. If your engine gets really hot, the best thing to do would be let it idle for a minute or two then shut it off. Thats just my thought...

Let it idle? No sir def not and judging that response you don't have a 450R. When I bikes hot even sitting for one minute will have it over flowing.

Let it idle? No sir def not and judging that response you don't have a 450R. When I bikes hot even sitting for one minute will have it over flowing.

I've got a 450 exc. I just thought that it would be better letting it idle for a minute because it keeps the coolant circulating which will help cool the motor more than just shutting it off. My bike gets pretty hot if I'm riding real slow on tight tracks or steep muddy hills. I always cringe watching my mate shut his 450 exc off right after a really steep muddy hill at high rpm thinking he's doing the right thing. But maybe I'm wrong...

Edited by Adrian_94

I've got a 450 exc. I just thought that it would be better letting it idle for a minute because it keeps the coolant circulating which will help cool the motor more than just shutting it off. My bike gets pretty hot if I'm riding real slow on tight tracks or steep muddy hills. I always cringe watching my mate shut his 450 exc off right after a really steep muddy hill at high rpm thinking he's doing the right thing. But maybe I'm wrong...

Yeah man I get what your saying but nah the R's can't sit still long at all. Best way to cool them off is air em out. Plus no fan so sitting still just builds up heat.

I don't think shutting the bike off is actually the best idea. Once you shut the motor off you have nothing keeping it cool and the heat just stays within the motor. It's the same as a turbo. You should never ever turn the engine off after a race (or any other scenario where the engine becomes really hot) as the turbo can't get rid of the heat and will eventually damage it, which is why people use turbo timers. If my bike starts to get really hot while waiting on a track for others to catch up etc, I let it idle for a minute then shut it off. That's just my thought, you may or may not agree.

it's the best thing to do in a situation where you will NOT be moving.. or moving so slow it's just going to get hotter. We all know when you have opportunity you let the engine cool a bit, like after a race. But that is NOT the situation i'm talking about. OUt on the trail with friends, your sitting there waiting for someone lagging behind. If you see some coolant spitting into the overflow, you better A) get moving or B ) SHUT IT OFF. ;)

yes, turbos are a situation that (if you want the turbo to last) you best let the engine run 7-10 min if it's been spooling up big time. I have a "turbo timer" button that allows me to push the button and hear a "beep" for each minute i want the truck to run, then i can pull the keys, lock it up and walk away. If anyone breaks in and depresses the brake pedal to put it in drive, it shuts down. Handy device.

it's the best thing to do in a situation where you will NOT be moving.. or moving so slow it's just going to get hotter. We all know when you have opportunity you let the engine cool a bit, like after a race. But that is NOT the situation i'm talking about. OUt on the trail with friends, your sitting there waiting for someone lagging behind. If you see some coolant spitting into the overflow, you better A) get moving or B ) SHUT IT OFF. ;)

yes, turbos are a situation that (if you want the turbo to last) you best let the engine run 7-10 min if it's been spooling up big time. I have a "turbo timer" button that allows me to push the button and hear a "beep" for each minute i want the truck to run, then i can pull the keys, lock it up and walk away. If anyone breaks in and depresses the brake pedal to put it in drive, it shuts down. Handy device.

Yeah I get what you mean :) I have a similar problem with my exc. just replaced the water pump seals (i made sure they didn't get snagged when I put them on) and when it's sits at an idle and starts to get hot, it dribbles out a very small amount of coolant from the cylinder head drain hole. But then it completely stops once I get going.

Nothing directly.  Indirectly, you eliminate the "Y" hose restrictions and increase system reliability when using a higher pressure cap.  Just switching to silicon hoses without the integral "Y" and keeping the stock cap does nothing to cool the bike.

How do you know when your water pump is no working properly?

When the seal leaks.  An actual failure of the pump is extremely unlikely.