06 KX450 or 02 CR 250r

What one so you prefer and why?

Get both. If they are in great condition.

Only you can decide. Very different bikes.

It'll probably take more $ on suspension to get the 450 handling the way you'd like.

If the 450 head needs some work then check your bank account is ready for it.

I own a 06 kx450f it has been honestly the best bike in have ever owned the thought of having to get rid of it ever to get a new one makes me sit up and cry at night. I ride a lot of trails single track and I love the four speed tranny. I would never go back to a two stroke again after owning a four. That is my opinion.

I own a 06 kx450f it has been honestly the best bike in have ever owned the thought of having to get rid of it ever to get a new one makes me sit up and cry at night. I ride a lot of trails single track and I love the four speed tranny. I would never go back to a two stroke again after owning a four. That is my opinion.

Interesting you say that. I had the exact opposite experience last weekend. Riding at a friend's private property on both my KX450F and my YZ250 (295cc).

On the hilly grass track, the 450 was awesome. One of my most fun rides ever on the big bike. My 450 works beautifully for me on HP type tracks. 

However on the single trail track through the trees, with a mix of loam, hard pack, scattered rocks, tree roots and sand, the 450 was horrible compared to the 2 stroke.  The 2 stroke is so much more agile.  My 450 is setup well. It'll blast around sweeper corners or rail a tight 180 hairpin rut with ease. But the 450 is more locked into a turn radius. Where the 2 stroke opens up so much more line choice. So I can adapt so much easier to what's ahead.

The problem with the 450 on the tight trails has nothing at all to do with having too much power. My bike has a Vortex ignition so I can pick one of 10 power curves with the flick of a screw driver.  The problem was the inability to quickly change chassis lean angle and front tire line. I run minimum fuel weight, Ti exhaust, etc. The cause of the problem is the higher center of mass, and the inertia of the big motor.

Driving home I couldn't stop thinking about how I had such a GREAT day on the 450, but after swapping between my bikes a lot, and the end I was thinking to myself I'd NEVER want to try to ride at MY fastest speed for a long period of time on my 450 on single trails. It is just so much harder and/or frustrating. Through the trees, the YZ with broad power felt like cheating.

Diff horses for diff courses ...

Edited by numroe

I had a kx250 before this bike and it was set up well it got the job done. The trails are quite steep rocks roots 180 switch backs anything mother nature could throw at you it is a serious fun trail rode both bikes on this trail and I feel way more comfortable on the four stroke knowing that that power is there for me at a turn of a throttle. Maybe its just me with a few more years of experience that I am more comfortable and a can put the bike where ever I want but I just enjoy the four stroke more.

If they need work then the cr will be cheaper to rebuild but if the kx is in good condition you won't go wrong with it.

Ride both bikes and see what you are most comfortable on and If you still can't decide then go for the best condition one.

Try get someone to go with you to look at the bikes as another set of eyes will help picking up faults.