I am stumped .... what should I get

Hello everyone,

So I am new to thumper talk and I am looking to get some tips. So here goes, I currently own a '09 kx250f and its overall a great bike, however I heard that these bikes are high maintenance and need new top ends and valve adjustments left often. I am a little scared and decided that maybe I should try and dump it and get myself something else. I have grown up around Honda's and this is my first Kawi however I am thinking of going back to Honda and either get myself a crf250r or a 400ex. Personally I prefer dirt bikes but what I am having a hard time with is if I was to go with the crf250r will I run into the same problems? I ride trails and hit up the pits or open fields every now and then but its mainly trails. I am aware there is a crf250x and I am not as interested in those simply because they are a little bit more pricier and I feel as if there are not a whole lot around so when the time came to sell it I would have a difficult time.

Thanks Everyone

You will run into the same problems, kx f's and crf's are four strokes, any four stroke you have to re adjust the valves routinly. You do have to so topends eventually, but thats after quite a while, there gonna be expensive, but not too too conplicated, unless you have very little mechNical experience. Valves are quite easy, but unless you ride a ton you shouldnt have a problem

2strokes, no valves, so no need to re adjust them a lot. A lot of people say you have to do topends often, more so then a four stroke, thats true but you can probably push 150 hours if your not racing, riding trails and pits. Not as many companys make 2 strokes anymore, but if your buying new theres ktm and yamaha, i myself prefer hondas ( although they stopped making them in 07, so itll be a used bike)

• Like 1

First, welcome to TT.  Nowhere else will you get more straight talk and controversy when warranted.  That bike is designed to take an awful lot more abuse than you are likely to be able to deliver.  That said, no matter what bike you get, maintenance is important.  That starts with oil changes, clean air filters, and full radiators.  Your bike doesn't require new top ends and valve adjustments often, just when needed.  No matter what 4 stroke bike you get, you need to check valve clearances periodically.  It takes 10 minutes to do.  Do that, and ask on the KX250F dedicated topic if you have questions.  The CRF250R requires the same thing.  For your purposes, if your valve clearances are fine now, my guess is you could ride the thing for another year without checking them again, but since it is so easy to do, pick a rainy day and do it every couple of months.  Believe it or not, you can shim your own valves very easily.  It's only when they start to lose clearance quickly that you need to replace them, and then, yes, no matter what 4 stroke you have, you need to replace them.  Otherwise it can be expensive.  Check the KX250F dedicated topic for specifics on your bike, and the CRF250R topic for specifics on that one.  

• Like 2

Thanks a lot Valosity, Dragon67 and Backyard Hack!  I will definitely check the clearances this weekend to make sure they are within spec. and I now thankfully feel better about my bike. For a while I was convinced that these kx250f's required way more maintenance but now I have a better understanding that it all comes down to simple maintenance and to just keep an eye on the valve clearances every now and then. If I do end up selling my bike I will definitely consider a cr125 now that you guys mentioned 2 strokes. I guess what it all comes down too  is I want to be able to have a dirt bike that I can have a good time on and will do great generally in the woods. All together though I would like to thank all of you once again for your time.

Hello everyone,

So I am new to thumper talk and I am looking to get some tips. So here goes, I currently own a '09 kx250f and its overall a great bike, however I heard that these bikes are high maintenance and need new top ends and valve adjustments left often. I am a little scared and decided that maybe I should try and dump it and get myself something else. I have grown up around Honda's and this is my first Kawi however I am thinking of going back to Honda and either get myself a crf250r or a 400ex. Personally I prefer dirt bikes but what I am having a hard time with is if I was to go with the crf250r will I run into the same problems? I ride trails and hit up the pits or open fields every now and then but its mainly trails. I am aware there is a crf250x and I am not as interested in those simply because they are a little bit more pricier and I feel as if there are not a whole lot around so when the time came to sell it I would have a difficult time.

Thanks Everyone

Why would  you sell a bike because you cant take the valve cover off and use a $5 tool which btw you need on a 2 stroke as well to check the clearance?  Sounds lazy to me. I doubt your doing nationals so you can probably get a good amount of hours on the motor.  There was a guy on here getting 100 hours without doing anything to his bike besides the norm oil change.  Learn to do valve checks its not hard takes 30 secs at the most for the actual checking.  All you need is a $5 tool called a feelers gauge.  Top ends arent hard at all either.  I mean you dont have to take out the valves.  All you do is remove the cams and cam chain and thats it.... Not hard at all i mean yes you have to set the timing but thats still easy peasy..

Why would you sell a bike because you cant take the valve cover off and use a $5 tool which btw you need on a 2 stroke as well to check the clearance? Sounds lazy to me. I doubt your doing nationals so you can probably get a good amount of hours on the motor. There was a guy on here getting 100 hours without doing anything to his bike besides the norm oil change. Learn to do valve checks its not hard takes 30 secs at the most for the actual checking. All you need is a $5 tool called a feelers gauge. Top ends arent hard at all either. I mean you dont have to take out the valves. All you do is remove the cams and cam chain and thats it.... Not hard at all i mean yes you have to set the timing but thats still easy peasy..

Seriously! I can tell you what my valves are shimmed at in about 5 mins. Takes longer to clean the air filter!

To the OP, sounds like you have a bike that will suit you just fine. Learn how to ride it and learn how to maintain/fix it! Get a manual and read it! Or have a wallet thick enough to pay someone else to fix it!

Any bike you get will need maintence and fixing period!

• Like 1

3000 miles of woods riding. I've spent more time changing tires then anything else. Valve checks are simple. Get a book. It's all in the book. I've spent no cash on my engine other than upgrades and normal maintenance and you're gonna' do that on any bike. Oh and my valves are still not needing shims yet. Lots depends on how you ride it.

• Like 1

Many novices leave the sport of dirt bike riding due to the shock and expense of their first four stroke repair.  Pick any suburban neighborhood with access to trail riding areas, and you will find a lot of "f" bike rollers sitting in garages collecting dust, and the story goes something like this:  Mom and Dad bought Johnny a CR, KX, whatever f bike just like they saw on the supercross TV show.  Johnny had fun for a while, be he had no idea how to clean an air filter or change the oil.  In short order the motor is toast, and Dad practically passes out at the repair bill. It doesn't get repaired, and Johnny goes back to stick and ball sports (or less savory activities).  

The simple truth is that smokers stand up to abuse much better than 4 strokes, and even if Johnny has the maintenance skills of a chimpanzee, the bike will still run, and Dad can stomach the repair bills when they come.

To the OP, if you take care 4 stroke it will likely be fine and provide you with many hours of service, but it's going to cost you either more time (to learn how to do it yourself) or more money (to pay others to do it for you).

My personal take on the situation: even though I have the all tools and skills to fully maintain/rebuild any 4 stroke (I used to rebuild/restore classic "muscle bikes"), I simply want no part of 4 strokes hassles when I ride dirt bikes.  I love my smokers for their snap and light weight, and the fact that the motors are essentially maintenance free beyond keeping the air filter clean.  For example, I typically do a top-end on my 250 every 18 months or so (can be done in one evening), and I don't touch the motor again until the next top-end.  It's a super high-performance machine that requires almost no work--how can you beat that?

Edited by rpt50
  • Like 1

Thanks rpt50, poconovfr, jlmotox, for the feedback. I understand that ALL BIKES require maintenance I knew that from the start. Up until now I thought that the kx250f required valve adjustments and new top ends much more frequently then other bikes so that is why I came on here to see if that was true because even if it isn't that hard to who the hell wants to spend their time readjusting the valves or what not but because I have now got feedback I understand more clearly. Obviously the information that I have received from various sources since I purchased the bike last November were wrong. I feel better about my bike so thanks.

*As for Ringo25, when did I say I lack the knowledge to remove the valve cover to check the clearances? I understand that you need a feelers gauge to do so. It is nothing about being lazy I have plenty of experience around dirt bikes and quads with both riding and maintenance. I was just trying to figure out if I bought a bike that requires valve adjustments and new top ends much more frequently then lets say a crf250r because if that was the case then I would switch back to Honda nobody wants to waste their time doing frequent valve adjustments and what not instead of having fun riding. But I understand now from the feedback I got from others that with my bike that is not the case.

Edited by berrenberg

Thanks a lot Valosity, Dragon67 and Backyard Hack!  I will definitely check the clearances this weekend to make sure they are within spec. and I now thankfully feel better about my bike. For a while I was convinced that these kx250f's required way more maintenance but now I have a better understanding that it all comes down to simple maintenance and to just keep an eye on the valve clearances every now and then. If I do end up selling my bike I will definitely consider a cr125 now that you guys mentioned 2 strokes. I guess what it all comes down too  is I want to be able to have a dirt bike that I can have a good time on and will do great generally in the woods. All together though I would like to thank all of you once again for your time.

If your considering a honda 2 stroke 125, they are turds, I'd go for a yamaha or suzuki personally. Why do I say this? I own one. I've dumped more money into the thing than its worth (willingly) and it rips, but if I would have spent that same amount into a yamaha or zuk i'd be much happier!

Edit: I  just read your last post, they are called feeler gauges.

Edited by dan2581