Sign in to follow this  

Engine died and wont start back up

Hey guys,

I have been lurking here a bit and reading up. I have a new to me 06 yz250f and I was out running the trails today and i must have hit something at some point and did not notice the oil leaking out of the oil tank. Any way busting down the trail and the bike just goes blahhhhhh and wont start back up. I added oil thinking maybe I could get it to fire up for a second just to make me feel better but no such luck. Probably wasnt the smartest thing to do but I wasnt really thinking i guess. My Buddy rides an RM and said it didnt lock up so it shouldnt be to bad but another guy says thats a high psi system and not good at all. Still has comp but dosent seem to have as much as it did before this happened. Where is a good starting point to find out whats going on? I am very new to the dirt bike world and looking to learn any help would be great. Thank in advance

-Levi 

null_zpseec22f11.jpg

Edited by MudBug20

It did'nt make any noise at all out of the normal that I noticed it ran really good. There is a small crack in the oil tank under byt the line and there is no oil in the sight glass. Like I said I added a qt and when i kick it over it just sqirts out. It just died was running great then blahhhh and then nothing. I did not check spark or anything. I took the head cover off and to me it all looks okay. Timing is good. Is there any kind of low oil sensor or anything like that, Is the oil tank high pressure?

Edited by MudBug20

I cant get the maunal in the FAQ's to work does anyone have a direct link to a manual? Or have one they maybe could email me?

I bet you're in need of a new piston

you think so? even though i still have compression? I have a comp tester on the way should be here this coming week. The bike didnt smoke or anything liike that just died i'm wondering if it might be electrical and maybe hoping it was just a coincidence? The bike backfired a couple time when I was kicking it over so its deffinatly building some sort of comp correct? Like i said I'll tear into the bike here soon and see what the damage is. I have an aluminum welder at work so i will be able to take some body pins and pull the dent and weld the hole in the oil tank at least. 

I'm gunna upload the video i had my GoPro going when it happened.

k. Also just cuz it's got compression does NOT mean it will run. Compression isn't meaning it should run.

k. Also just cuz it's got compression does NOT mean it will run. Compression isn't meaning it should run.

I understand that I'm just saying that it didnt smoke and it didnt lock up I'm hoping its something else 

Didn't see that u lost oil.

No I was riding I did not see it was leaking oil. There was no oil spot or anything in the garage so it happened while I was out on the trail at some point. 

No, I meant that I didn't see that you lost oil in the description u wrote.

got ya my bad I'm still learning names and such here. I saw your post. I'm not sure if i have spark or not? I think all is good in that department and my bike is sitting at a buddies house. I'm going to dig into it tomorrow so I shold be able to see whats going on with it. I dont have an engine builder or anything i'm it so I'm going to take my time and really pay attention. And of course you guys are here to help! 

still guessing you need a piston!

Okay thanks I'm headed to go pick up the bike here in a few mins.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1378680370.574545.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1378680411.339236.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1378680427.223498.jpg

Ouch

I'm now in the market for a big bore kit. Looking at a 269 kit on eBay brand new.