Racetech gold Valves question

Hello,

I've been reading the suspension forum for the last few months and i'm pretty convinced now to order Compression and Rebound gold valves from Racetech for my Suzuki RMX 450 Z (2010)

but i have two questions.

Those who installed the gold valves , did you felt a big difference compared to stock valves ? i guess its not relevant but i do Baja Rally Raid most of the times, and some medium enduro also.

I do everything on my bike, and my friends bikes also, regarding service and tunning, so i'm planning to install the gold valves my self , i'll save a lot of money this way and most important i'll learn a lot on the process either, so i can do a nice setup for my ride with out being dependent on others and have to pay for the service. my question is. Are the Gold Valves easy to install ?

Along with the revalving i'll also do DLC and SKF seals on both forks and shock, will i feel the difference ?

regards

IMHO, RT is a very good DIY kit for some one that want's to lean more about suspension and take control of making it work how you like it.

You get a good assortment of shims and the GR2 piston setup is very tunable.

But be fore warned that it can take a lot of time and effort to get your set-up right.

While your in there don't forget to address the midvalve as well, it's as important as the BV if not more.

• Like 1

I have gold valves rebound and compression and they were incredibly easy to install, they take a little fettling to get what you want from the bike but are a great way too learn about suspension!

I couldn't honestly say if you will feel a difference because your bike set up will be different than mine, I felt a difference in initial stroke but is that the valve or different shim stack?

The only way to see if they make a difference is to install them with exactly the same valving as you have now and go ride. Then compare your feeling.

Cheers

moto9 i was plannig on buying those ones (GR2 ) , the mid valves are included with the rebound kit.

That part of spending time to tune the suspension, i really dont mind ?

Hydro the diference that i mean is with the new revalving  and every thing set for my weight ..

Thanks

moto9 i was plannig on buying those ones (GR2 ) , the mid valves are included with the rebound kit.

That part of spending time to tune the suspension, i really dont mind ?

Hydro the diference that i mean is with the new revalving and every thing set for my weight ..

Thanks

Yep I think you will deffo notice a difference as there's nothing like custom valving. I love it!!

Trouble is for me the rest of my bike keeps falling apart around my suspension.

• Like 1

I used RT for years, every new bike got an RT kit because at that time (before great fourms like this) there was no other option but to send out the suspension to a shop.

In some of those cases I was unhappy with the results of the revalves, so I decided to take more control over tuning the suspension myself.

in recent years most piston designs have evolved to the point where shim shuffling is all that's needed to get to a happy place with the suspension, provided you have the shims you need.

RT kits are pretty well supplied, the valving theory or logic is to place more emphasis on the shim deflection to control flow/dampining....and I think well worth the money.

Edited by moto9
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • TT Sponsor

Great discussion here guys.

Please keep in mind, not only does Race Tech give you a handful of info up front, but we are here to help you with anything you need along the way too.  You aren't on your own once you purchase the kit, and you aren't limited by the setups on the setup sheet.  If you put in a setup with Gold Valves and still feel it could be better, a quick call or email and we will take your feedback and give you a customized setting... it's what we do!  Same goes with shims, if your kit doesn't have the shims needed to make the setting needed, all you have to do is let us know and we will send them out to you.  Finally, for the DIY installer, we have a tech support line staffed specifically to help you install your suspension properly.  Our products are only as good as the install, so we want to make sure the install works.

And don't forget, you get a nice discount just for being a TTalk member on your Race Tech orders, and I will personally be more than happy to help you with any questions or concerns you have.  chris@racetech.com (email me and I'll give you my cell as well, we are truly here to help).

To the point about the stock pistons improving, you are absolutely correct in most cases.  There are actually some models who have gone backwards though, and while stock pistons have gotten better, we're still improving and developing the Gold Valve as well.  The Gold Valve you get now is significantly different from the valve for 18 months ago for most applications.

As far as G2-R vs. Type 1 valves, feel free once again to email me or talk with our sales staff to see which valve we recommend for your application.  

Hope that helps a bit, and feel free to email or PM me with anything else you might need as well.

• Like 2

Thanks a lot guys for all the nice answers :D

Farfromhome63 i will email Factory connection ,i´ve been on their site and i didn't find the clickers.

GDI70 thats the main reason to buy the gold Valves , the ability to do different setups ?

RT_Chris448  that discount sounds very nice :D  :D ,especially because i live in Europe and i will have to pay 23% Tax out of the total ( product price + shipping ) :(

The second main reason to get the gold valves is RT willingness to help .

Chris448 in the Racetech spring rate calculation page there is no Suzuki RMX 450 Z ,however its the same as RMZ 450 but 21.3 Lbs  heavier , so, should i add 21.3 Lbs on my weight to have the correct springs rate ?

Chris i will email or PM you in two weeks then , thats when i will have the money to buy the valves :D

this is what i want for now:

1 FMGV 3420G FK GOLD VALVE 34x6 G2-R                 

1 FRGV 2301 FK REBOUND GV 23x6 DIRT                
1 FRPS 261014 RT PRESSURE SPRING SERIES       
1 SMGV 5044 SK GV 50x16 LD SUZ RM 10       
1 SMRS 1612500    Rebound Separator Valve 2.4mm pre-drill

and 1kit of SPSN12125RN nuts , just in case ....

And After Christmas, both front and rear springs, and the Forks race tanks Kit.

In the meantime i've ordered here in Europe the Racetech Bible , will be here next week.

Thanks again to all .

Edited by nzb

Thanks a lot guys for all the nice answers :D

Farfromhome63 i will email Factory connection ,i´ve been on their site and i didn't find the clickers.

GDI70 thats the main reason to buy the gold Valves , the ability to do different setups ?

RT_Chris448 that discount sounds very nice :D:D ,especially because i live in Europe and i will have to pay 23% Tax out of the total ( product price + shipping ) :(

The second main reason to get the gold valves is RT willingness to help .

Chris448 in the Racetech spring rate calculation page there is no Suzuki RMX 450 Z ,however its the same as RMZ 450 but 21.3 Lbs heavier , so, should i add 21.3 Lbs on my weight to have the correct springs rate ?

Chris i will email or PM you in two weeks then , thats when i will have the money to buy the valves :D

this is what i want for now:

1 FMGV 3420G FK GOLD VALVE 34x6 G2-R

1 FRGV 2301 FK REBOUND GV 23x6 DIRT

1 FRPS 261014 RT PRESSURE SPRING SERIES

1 SMGV 5044 SK GV 50x16 LD SUZ RM 10

1 SMRS 1612500 Rebound Separator Valve 2.4mm pre-drill

And After Christmas, both front and rear springs, and the Forks race tanks Kit.

In the meantime i've ordered here in Europe the Racetech Bible , will be here next week.

Thanks again to all .

If I were you I would check your ics and rebound seals are all ok as well cos mine were leaking, when I got my rt gold valves sent to me here in the uk I got them to add the seals to the order so that I could get everything done in one go. The seals are dirt cheap!

It may pay you to get springs from your native country as the weight might make them expensive to ship from us.

Apart from that rt are really good and helpful to deal with. I also read the rt bible.

If I were you I would check your ics and rebound seals are all ok as well cos mine were leaking, when I got my rt gold valves sent to me here in the uk I got them to add the seals to the order so that I could get everything done in one go. The seals are dirt cheap!

It may pay you to get springs from your native country as the weight might make them expensive to ship from us.

Apart from that rt are really good and helpful to deal with. I also read the rt bible.

What is ics and rebound seals?

Yes thats true about the springs weight and shipping, but can we buy RT springs here in Europe?

thanks for the advise ?

Edited by nzb

I did not get racetech springs I got k tech ones here in uk, just so I didn't spend a fortune on postage.

I'm really unfamiliar with your forks but if you have the inner cartridge system with ics springs then I assume its like mine, you have rebound seals at the bottom of the inner cartridge where the rebound rod goes in and out and ics seals are inside the ics piston.

When you read the bible it will show you most if the fork internals!!

Cheers

• Like 1

You can find your local RT distributor worldwide using this link: http://racetech.com/page/id/72

As for the RMX vs. RMZ, let me check with our techs and get a recommendation.  What is your rider weight?

My weight with normal cloth is 171.9 Lbs (78 Kg).

I can have the springs and fluid from Spain, i will email them tomorrow to check for prices.

Thanks again .

This I can tell you from experience; the Race Tech shim stacks are WAY overdone.  If you follow their recommendations, it will be harsh and you will not like it.  If you do go this route, I suggest starting with something several steps softer that what their chart shows for your needs.  Light dampening and the correct (usually heavier) springs make for a great ride.  Excessive dampening makes harsh suspension that deflects, scares the poo out the rider and makes it impossible to go fast because the bike is unpredictable.  What you already have is quite tunable if you know what you want to accomplish.  Are there situations in which the suspension needs to react differently?  Does it deflect?  Does the rear end try to come around on the inside of a bumpy corner?  Does it pack down?  Do you bottom too much?  Do you ever bottom out?  (You should or you are not using all your travel).  Is it whoops and G-outs that are bad or the sharp hits like tree roots and rocks?  I would try to identify where you want to see improvement and work towards that.  No reason to reinvent the wheel.

Edited by Lehiguy
  • Like 1