Sign in to follow this  

Incorrect break in?

Sorry for the repost, but I thought a new thread would be more appropriate.  Alright so I just bought my bike today and rode it about 10 miles, then I read the 'mototune' hard break in article..  So my question is, have I already &%$#@!ed up my rings - or is it still possible to seal them properly?  I also want to add that i'm using the oil provided by the dealership, which i'm sure is synthetic.  If I was to change the oil tomorrow (to a nonsynthetic, also I dont have a new oil filter - would it be ok use the same filter?) and ride it hard from here out, would I see benefits - or am I past the point of no return?  Also, what type of oil should i use for the break in period?

Edited by wayne2oo8

Don't beat yourself up about this.  Chances are it was broken in before you even bought it.  Go out and ride it hard tomorrow with the oil that is in it.  Do about 20 full throttle roll ons.  Call it good then change the oil.  Put in the oil you intend to use on a regular basis.  Use a new filter.

If its a brand new bike it won't have synthetic in it. If used it might.go ride it hard for the day and change the oil and filter.

Sorry for the repost, but I thought a new thread would be more appropriate. Alright so I just bought my bike today and rode it about 10 miles, then I read the 'mototune' hard break in article.. So my question is, have I already &%$#@!ed up my rings - or is it still possible to seal them properly? I also want to add that i'm using the oil provided by the dealership, which i'm sure is synthetic. If I was to change the oil tomorrow (to a nonsynthetic, also I dont have a new oil filter - would it be ok use the same filter?) and ride it hard from here out, would I see benefits - or am I past the point of no return? Also, what type of oil should i use for the break in period?

Why Are you using oil provided by the dealer ?

Edited by backyard hack

Why Are you using oil provided by the dealer ?

Obviously because I didn't know I wasn't supposto.

Sorry for the repost, but I thought a new thread would be more appropriate.  Alright so I just bought my bike today and rode it about 10 miles, then I read the 'mototune' hard break in article..  So my question is, have I already &%$#@!ed up my rings - or is it still possible to seal them properly?  I also want to add that i'm using the oil provided by the dealership, which i'm sure is synthetic.  If I was to change the oil tomorrow (to a nonsynthetic, also I dont have a new oil filter - would it be ok use the same filter?) and ride it hard from here out, would I see benefits - or am I past the point of no return?  Also, what type of oil should i use for the break in period?

forget mototune, just ride your bike and change the oil every 1000 miles or so. holler at us when it turn over 75000 miles and you're still happy and laughing at the 'break in' procedures. ;-)

Don't worry about break in the apprentice already used the Moto tune method and some before you ever saw the bike during the pre delivery. :jawdrop:

I would be dropping the oil and changing the filter before it hit 50 miles and again before 500 miles then every 1000 miles after that.

• Like 2

Don't worry about break in the apprentice already used the Moto tune method and some before you ever saw the bike during the pre delivery. :jawdrop:

I would be dropping the oil and changing the filter before it hit 50 miles and again before 500 miles then every 1000 miles after that.

Sorry I'm not sure If I follow you, are you saying the dealership has already rode it hard?  I purchased the bike with 2 miles.  At any rate, I took it (somewhat) easy for the first 10 miles and then from 10-25 I rode it like it was stolen.  Then drained the oil at 25 miles, put in a non-synthetic 10w-40 oil and K&N oil filter.

Sorry I'm not sure If I follow you, are you saying the dealership has already rode it hard? 

Exactly but it was a tongue in cheek remark. :rolleyes:  

I'm sure dealer didn't do that, that would be inappropriate. 

Edited by Black_DRZ

Sorry I'm not sure If I follow you, are you saying the dealership has already rode it hard?  I purchased the bike with 2 miles.  At any rate, I took it (somewhat) easy for the first 10 miles and then from 10-25 I rode it like it was stolen.  Then drained the oil at 25 miles, put in a non-synthetic 10w-40 oil and K&N oil filter.

Well ... Heavy acceleration and deceleration is enough