Sign in to follow this  

Building complete bike from spares? $

Has anyone ever calculated what it would cost to build a bike from buying each individual part separately? Always wondered how much more it would end up costing.

If someone has more time than me and would like to do the hard work for me let me know :)

I started to once about 10 years ago. I stopped before I finished and was about 1/2 of the way. I was at 2 times the cost of off the show room price when i quit. If you want to do some thing like that buy a couple low mileage wrecks to start putting a bike together. Just price out a complete engine with acc. & frame. You will see where its going.

Edited by Zrt1200
  • Like 1

Depending on brand!

Suzuki's are cheap as dirt here.

You can buy a 1yr old used bike for half. So no need to buy part for part. I just buy cheap bikes, then if you wish, build a frankenbike.

I am going to find a good online OEM parts shop and export each item into an excel spreadsheet. Not 100% sure if it has every single part that is required but i would assume it would.

Plan is to update this next week once I have worked on it.

Depending on brand!

Suzuki's are cheap as dirt here.

You can buy a 1yr old used bike for half. So no need to buy part for part. I just buy cheap bikes, then if you wish, build a frankenbike.

He is talking about buying every part separately ..from a Stealer

I built a 500 in like 09.

I started with a severely broken but complete engine, and a bare 2003 cr250 frame.

I ebayed most of the big items, and probably spent a little more than I should have, but that bike is exactly the way I like it.

Built a few more like that, from just parts, no roller, etc.

But if you are asking if you bought every part new, that would be insane.

One of the magazines did this i think back in the 80's. Cr250 back then was about 2500 and if I recall the cost to build was just under 10K.

• Like 1

I have a great idea. Buy, or have a friend buy, a brand new bike. Then have yourself or a friend tear it down into individual pieces. And then you can build it from scratch and essentially accomplish the same task.

• Like 1

One of the magazines did this i think back in the 80's. Cr250 back then was about 2500 and if I recall the cost to build was just under 10K.

Ding, ding, ding, we have a winna