Xr600 low oil after rides?

So I use my xr600 for commuting and long highway speed rides and every time I'm done riding I notice the oil level is down almost a quart at times. I check the level at fuel stops but it always seems ok. It's only after the bike sits for about 30 minutes to an hour does it show that its low. Is this normal? Is it burning oil? Or am I losing oil out of the case breather hose? Just wanna make sure I don't need to look further into engine issues. Thanks in advance.

Are you adding oil or does the oil just reappear? The true test for oil level is to run it and check. Not letting it sit too long.

I usually check before I ride when the engine is cold. If its low at that point I'll add oil. Generally it seems to be ok while I'm riding and I check it at fuel stops. It's only when it's cold is it low.

The oil level will always appear to drop as the bike cools down. Get into the habit of immediately checking the oil when you get home with a hot engine, no delays.

Thank you. Will do. If its good at that point can I assume that the level is ok? Even if its low when cold?

Thank you. Will do. If its good at that point can I assume that the level is ok? Even if its low when cold?

Yes, it will be good. Oil will expand and/or contract with temperature.

What you can also do for checking when stone cold, after sitting overnight,  make a small notch on the edge of the dipstick to note where the level is when cold. Only make the mark once you have established that the hot level is correct. Use a file or dremel tool to make the notch.

Yes, it will be good. Oil will expand and/or contract with temperature.

What you can also do for checking when stone cold, after sitting overnight, make a small notch on the edge of the dipstick to note where the level is when cold. Only make the mark once you have established that the hot level is correct. Use a file or dremel tool to make the notch.

I will do that. Thanks for all your help.

The oil level will always appear to drop as the bike cools down. Get into the habit of immediately checking the oil when you get home with a hot engine, no delays.

X2 this is what the issue was with mine, checked 10 seconds after riding hot its always full. Wait 5 mins and its down half a qt. Wait over night and its down even more.

So my air box is pretty clean, where does the oil go? Am I burning it? Is there anything I can do to prevent such oil loss on long rides?

So did you run the bike around the block for five minutes and then return to base and immediately check the oil once you stopped the machine..??

Did you then fill the machine to the correct level??,,Half way between high/low is fine so long as you keep an eye on it..

Have you since then taken the bike for a long ride returned home and checked the oil immediately on return and found the oil levels down..??

If none of the above apply  the question you asked is irrelevant because you haven't run the bike as you did previously and checked the oil at the correct time..(Hot)

XRs,,XLs,,XRLs all get the oil checked in less than 2 minutes after you run them for over five minutes..You don't check it when the bike has had a chance to cool..

I'll also say just in case you aren't aware,,The dipstick doesn't get screwed in to check oil..it is unscrewed from the hole cleaned then sat on top of the oil hole,,no screwing in.

:prof:..Sorry about the lecture but we need order or nothing's achieved ..

Edited by Horri

So did you run the bike around the block for five minutes and then return to base and immediately check the oil once you stopped the machine..??

Did you then fill the machine to the correct level??,,Half way between high/low is fine so long as you keep an eye on it..

Have you since then taken the bike for a long ride returned home and checked the oil immediately on return and found the oil levels down..??

If none of the above apply the question you asked is irrelevant because you haven't run the bike as you did previously and checked the oil at the correct time..(Hot)

XRs,,XLs,,XRLs all get the oil checked in less than 2 minutes after you run them for over five minutes..You don't check it when the bike has had a chance to cool..

I'll also say just in case you aren't aware,,The dipstick doesn't get screwed in to check oil..it is unscrewed from the hole cleaned then sat on top of the oil hole,,no screwing in.

:prof:..Sorry about the lecture but we need order or nothing's achieved ..

After a 200 mile ride at 65-70mph the whole way is when I noticed the oil was down. I did check it after the bike cooled so maybe that's part of my issue I guess I'll just carry oil and keep it topped off as I ride? I plan on taking longer rides next year and just don't want any issues? ThAnks for the info.

I'd just do a test before you actually go on this long trip and see if you really are losing oil..Fill it to the correct level as I described in the above then take it for a 100k trip at 65-70 or whatever,,Check it when you get back or halfway through at a gas station to see if you really do have an issue..

If I'm going anywhere on the bike I just start her up head to the gas station fill her with fuel and then check oil.,,then I know it's correct for the day barring any catastrophic engine blow out or oil line leaks..which of course I'm always checking for at certain stages of the day..Anything can happen with oil leaks,,they can just appear suddenly so it pays to eyeball the motor every so often..My bike leaks a bit around the head cover even though it's not enough to affect levels through the day,,Still I'm at least aware of it so the oil level is checked occasionally..Essentially,,just keep an eye on things when you're out riding,,any change in sounds of the engine/exhaust note,,stop,,check what's going on

Edited by Horri

I'd just do a test before you actually go on this long trip and see if you really are losing oil..Fill it to the correct level as I described in the above then take it for a 100k trip at 65-70 or whatever,,Check it when you get back or halfway through at a gas station to see if you really do have an issue..

If I'm going anywhere on the bike I just start her up head to the gas station fill her with fuel and then check oil.,,then I know it's correct for the day barring any catastrophic engine blow out or oil line leaks..which of course I'm always checking for at certain stages of the day..Anything can happen with oil leaks,,they can just appear suddenly so it pays to eyeball the motor every so often..My bike leaks a bit around the head cover even though it's not enough to affect levels through the day,,Still I'm at least aware of it so the oil level is checked occasionally..Essentially,,just keep an eye on things when you're out riding,,any change in sounds of the engine/exhaust note,,stop,,check what's going on

Ok. Will do. Thanks.

At the risk of redundancy......The oil level in dry sump XR engines cannot be accurately checked when the engine has been shut down for a period of time, especially if it has sat overnight,  the oil seeps from the oil reservoir into the crankcase when the engine is not running.  Only check the level with the engine warmed up for at least 10-15 minutes. Best way is to check is immediately after riding, that way you know you are OK for the next ride. If you are checking on a cold engine that has not been started the level will show low or nothing. Do not add oil as this will overfill  the system.

• Like 1

The manual's method does not give dependable results. I have owned and wrenched on quite a few dry sump XRs and the most accurate check is after the engine has been running at least 10 minutes, preferably riding the bike for at least that long.

The manual's method does not give dependable results. I have owned and wrenched on quite a few dry sump XRs and the most accurate check is after the engine has been running at least 10 minutes, preferably riding the bike for at least that long.

I'll do this from now on. Do you know if higher gearing or an oil cooler would help with the oil loss? Or at least slow it down since the engine wouldn't be working as hard and the oil would not get as hot.

If you do mostly road riding fit a 16 on the front and a 39 on the back and an XR400 or 250 oil cooler and try it out..I have a 250 cooler on mine even though it probably does virtually nothing when you're running at above 70 mph..Who knows though as I don't have a temperature gauge.,I was inspired so fitted it. God knows why though as NZ is not hot..frikken wet and windy is what this place is..roll on summer..I seriously have no idea why half the world seem to want to come and live here,,mad is what they are. I'd rather get burnt to a chip in Oz than soaked every darn day..

Edited by Horri