Need help on which helmet to get.

Hi my friend is wanting to start riding as he has helped me out so much and been there for me the last 5 years since I became severely ill I wanted to get him something to help him out.

I can't spend crazy amounts of money and I have been looking.

Theses are a list of of pictures of ones I have found but not sure which one would b the best at doing its job.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1378561258.872089.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1378561273.758690.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1378561283.495436.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1378561294.503971.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1378561308.897906.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1378561321.069128.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1378561330.714238.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1378561341.769947.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1378561350.275210.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1378561360.062996.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1378561369.272227.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1378561379.998276.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1378561393.311276.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1378561403.568612.jpg

Any suggestions much appreciated

So sorry about your illness. In my opinion, the fit of the helmet is more important than the brand and cost. I had to try on SEVERAL helmets before I found one that fit my head right. Could you get him a gift card for a local shop and then he can go try on helmets and purchase one that he likes? 

So sorry about your illness. In my opinion, the fit of the helmet is more important than the brand and cost. I had to try on SEVERAL helmets before I found one that fit my head right. Could you get him a gift card for a local shop and then he can go try on helmets and purchase one that he likes? 

This. It is worth the effort.

Fit is the first consideration for any helmet. If it doesn't fit, it shouldn't be used. That doesn't mean that any helmet that fits is good. If you want to do your friend a meaningful favor, do some research. If you can't afford a dual density EPS lined helmet, you could find some of those to choose from and chip in the $100 or so you planned to spend to help him afford one. This thread is full of discussion on the subject and enough to get you started: https://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1043238-get-what-you-pay-for-helmets/

Not trying to be a dick. I think what you're doing is awesome and he should be happy to have a good friend like you!But... I think those cheapy helmets are junk.. Look at a better brand and see I theirs any you can get for him. Or even pitch in whatever you were gonna pay for one of those and tell him hey go get yourself a good helmet. Would you rather feel good buying the whole(cheap, junkie) helmet or pitching in? Obviously buying the whole thing but if you do that with a cheapy helmet then with a good accident you may feel terrible about buying that if he gets hurt,(brain damage, concusion, yada yada)

Yeah guess so, will have a look thank you nd ur not being a dick lol just helping me out. Could u advise what brand to b looking at? I'm not v well at the mo so not been able to read everything that was in the link posted earlier

Not trying to be a dick. I think what you're doing is awesome and he should be happy to have a good friend like you!But... I think those cheapy helmets are junk.. Look at a better brand and see I theirs any you can get for him. Or even pitch in whatever you were gonna pay for one of those and tell him hey go get yourself a good helmet. Would you rather feel good buying the whole(cheap, junkie) helmet or pitching in? Obviously buying the whole thing but if you do that with a cheapy helmet then with a good accident you may feel terrible about buying that if he gets hurt,(brain damage, concusion, yada yada)

I don't think you are being a dick at all.  It's important enough to learn something about.  Amazing how dumbed down the customer base is regarding helmets.  It wasn't long ago that I couldn't tell you the difference, either.  There are lots of reasons for this, and none of them good.  

Yeah guess so, will have a look thank you nd ur not being a dick lol just helping me out. Could u advise what brand to b looking at? I'm not v well at the mo so not been able to read everything that was in the link posted earlier

At the low end of price, the 2013 Fox V1 offers a dual density liner, Snell 2010 certification, and DOT certification (of course).  It is $160 MSRP.  Don't be confused by the 2012 Fox V1, which is a single layer EPS lid and Snell 2005 certified.  Not even close to the same thing at $98.  Here is a link, shop around at the online outlets.  http://shop.foxhead.com/store/products/Helmets/category/cat20066?sort=lh&categoryId=cat20066&categoryNavIds=cat20006%3Acat20026%3Acat20066&mode=1

An affordable premium helmet would be the Kali Prana at around $300.  Here is a link to the manufacturers website.  http://kaliprotectives.com/moto/prana-carbon Highly recommend looking into this helmet.

You could go with a Shoei VXF-W for $400-$450.  Great premium lid.  Proven excellence.  Dual density EPS as well.  http://www.shoei-helmets.com/Helmet.aspx?VFX-W&h=17&t=2

You could go with a 6D ATR-1 for $750.  Two separate EPS liners separated by conical elastomer shock absorbers.  This is top of the line stuff, especially for folks who have had concussions in the past.  Here is their site:  http://www.6dhelmets.com

Thank you so much I think will look into the first one

Also, if you get other suggestions, think about it this way:  does the helmet have at least a dual density EPS liner?  If not, move on.  The reason for the dual density liner is not for protection against the worst crashes, because all helmets offer that.  The dual density EPS just makes the more likely crashes easier on the brain.  The fact that it is available on the $160 Fox is pretty cool.  Good for them.

And I hope you feel better, bud.  Mind telling us what's up, or do you want to keep it private?

Thank you so much I think will look into the first one

the first helmets are great. I just bought one like 3 weeks ago actually! I love it, very comfy. I have 2 other expensive helmets and ones a shoei(the one mentioned) and I prefer the fox over all others I've tried! Great helmets at an even better price.

Hope you're alright man!

• Like 1

u guys on here r all so kind ? thanx

I have been severely ill with something called m.e for 5 years now. I'm a girl lol but I've always been one of thoes girls that hands out with the guys all the time because sitting inside shopping 4 dresses was no interest to me ?

Not sure if u heard of it i know they have given it in the usa nd uk but I had the injection that giving girls at skl when they 12 (cervarix vaccine) I was one of hundreds of people in the uk who have had such bad reactions.the company wont admit there something wrong nd says that we r all making it up

unfortunately most people affected are the sportiest and the ones that r always on the go. I'm now completely bedbound not sure if I will get better been close to death a few times but I hope I do I want to give motocross a go lol the amount I looked into it for my friend has made me want to start ?

Anyway sorry that's so long but there isn't really a short way to explain it without everyone just sitting there saying 'what' all the time

Thanx again for your suggestions I will have a good look at them all.

u guys on here r all so kind ? thanxI have been severely ill with something called m.e for 5 years now. I'm a girl lol but I've always been one of thoes girls that hands out with the guys all the time because sitting inside shopping 4 dresses was no interest to me :PNot sure if u heard of it i know they have given it in the usa nd uk but I had the injection that giving girls at skl when they 12 (cervarix vaccine) I was one of hundreds of people in the uk who have had such bad reactions.the company wont admit there something wrong nd says that we r all making it upunfortunately most people affected are the sportiest and the ones that r always on the go. I'm now completely bedbound not sure if I will get better been close to death a few times but I hope I do I want to give motocross a go lol the amount I looked into it for my friend has made me want to start :)Anyway sorry that's so long but there isn't really a short way to explain it without everyone just sitting there saying 'what' all the timeThanx again for your suggestions I will have a good look at them all.

M.E. doesn't sound like much fun at all. I sure hope you improve. Maybe get second and third opinions, too. Not sure about the link to the vaccine. Maybe? As for the most active ones getting the disease it is interesting how the post exercise blood flow to the brains of those affected is so much lower. Maybe there is a correlation between high energy people and likelihood of getting this disease? I don't think you are making anything up. I just hope you have people helping you and I hope you find normalcy again. Maybe you'll get on that bike someday soon. I hope so!