Sign in to follow this  

Ordering Header Monday!

Hello, I installed a FMF powercore 4 muffler on my bike last week and it has made a huge difference. The bike sounds awesome! I'm going to complete my stage 1 and order a header Monday morning. I have done a lot of searching and reading on this forum and I am pretty much sold on the FMF Megabomb. I ride mostly on the street just running errands and exploring new roads. I would like your thoughts on this header and if you would suggest any other pipe? Thanks very much! 

megabomb is built for low to mid range power 

powerbomb is built for med to high ranger power 

I am sure they are very close anyway but, the powerbomb may be a better choice for street type riding ... :excuseme:  

• Like 2

The power bomb is less obtrusive to where your pant don't get burned as easily.

But I love my mega bomb and you can always rig the stock heat shield to solve that. Here's mine.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1378567638.854134.jpg

• Like 1

i was looking for the thread on smj Project Builds where someone showed his ceramic coating...can't remember which build it is, but you should see this...awesome; the guy who had piston and combustion chamber and piston pin and exhaust port coated,...  :goofy:

http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?139503-CRF-450-R-X-Hybrid

PS: oops, i always forget, you need to be registered there to see pics. But you should, anyway. So much good stuff there - the Project Builds forum.

Edited by Cat ji
  • Like 1

somehow duplicated the post. ...i seem to be having trouble with this editor nowadays.  :-/

Edited by Cat ji

combustion chamber, not cylinder.  :)  The pistons get anti-friction coating on the side/s, heat-reflective coating on top.  (The CRF-L piston has the anti-friction coating.) 
Register there and see the pics. i found the pics i was looking for, of the Cerakote on the outside of the headers. Turns out they're linked from a hosting site, so i can link them here,...

asasysap.jpg

3y7e5yma.jpg

Looks like a good job with VHT or something like that but the Cerakote would be much tougher

http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?142023-Project-Traffic-Cone-Big-Bore-KTM&p=1608611#post1608611

• Like 1

Thanks for all the info! Looks are not important to me. I just want the pipe that will give me the most usable power.

The powerbomb does look better though.

• Like 1

i doubt there is much difference - not like the major difference between stock airbox and modified airbox, like positron showed. i could be wrong; who knows, without dyno charts or testing like positron. 

• Like 1

Thanks for all the info! Looks are not important to me. I just want the pipe that will give me the most usable power.

The powerbomb does look better though.

Looks are always important! Good for 5% more on any scale! hahaha

• Like 3

Looks are always important! Good for 5% more on any scale! hahaha

Just like lots of stickers is going to get you 10mph more speed and RED motorcycles get more tickets :lol::p:lol:

• Like 2

I have the Megabomb and powercore. Definetly noticeable and loud. My buddy on his Boulevard said he can actually hear me behind him now.

After motosport stonewalled me, I found one on Ebay for $220.

I ordered the megabomb yesterday and it will be delivered tomorrow.

The install looks very simple. Is there a torque spec for the two header nuts at the front of the motor?

Thanks

• Like 1

The install looks very simple. Is there a torque spec for the two header nuts at the front of the motor?

Service manual says 18Nm / 13lb.ft.

Thanks

Good call. I know that you thought the power bomb looks better. But I think the mega bomb looks better. Bigger is always better!