engine troubles

Hey guys, new here. i have a 2003 yz250f and it was needing an oil change so i parked it for about two months. finally got around to changing the oil and filter andi let it idle and warm up, went for an easy mile cruise and then went to a feild and gave it a crack of throttle and the engine locked up. after a while it cooled down and i was able to kick it over again and it would idle but i havent run it since. any ideas what went wrong with it? it was up on coolant and oil

Hey guys, new here. i have a 2003 yz250f and it was needing an oil change so i parked it for about two months. finally got around to changing the oil and filter andi let it idle and warm up, went for an easy mile cruise and then went to a feild and gave it a crack of throttle and the engine locked up. after a while it cooled down and i was able to kick it over again and it would idle but i havent run it since. any ideas what went wrong with it? it was up on coolant and oil

I can't imagine anything good is happening if the engine locked up. It's even weirder that it locked up, then unlocked and ran. You didn't get any water in there did you? I would definitely not kick the bike over anymore to avoid any damage. You need to tear down your motor and then you will know whats going on.

i ended up dumping the oil again and the wasnt any water or coolant in it. i wouldnt mind getting it fixed but i dont know where i would be cost wise. so this isnt a common thing that happens to 250s or anything like that?

No, shouldnt ever "lock up". I assume when you say locked up, you tried to kick it (restart)...and it wouldnt move? Or are you saying it just stalled, but would still kick over. Only asking for clarification because sometimes people say things with the wrong meaning behind them, that to someone else means something entirely different, lol.

Far as the cost, well you wont know that until you take it apart. While taking it apart, look for anything abnormal, dont just go gun ho rippin it all apart. Check bearings for movement, cams for no unusual wear, or signs they got really hot...etc. If the head all looks good on top, including the cams bearings, pop it off and look at the cylinder, etc, etc, etc.

Again, this is if it actually seized to the point you couldnt even move the kickstarter. Not  impossible that if a bearing is/was going bad and seized, that once cooled down, the motor couldnt then be turned again. So, if the bearing isnt 100% shot to the point its seized for good, and you're able to turn it which it sounds like it will when its cold, you're gonna have to look for other signs, how easily does it spin, is it smooth rotation, etc.

Problem is, its not something thats reversible if this is the case! lol.

Edited by J_WR2fitty

it was locked up so that i couldnt even kick it over. i was just worried that maybe i have scratched the cylinder and pooched it or something