A DOT Tire that Will Last?

My primary ride is a big black 2008 DRZ400s. It sees very little pavement (less than 10%). Off road, I ride the sandy/rocky trails of Colorado with a group of younger guys on much more dirt-capable mounts (KTM EXCs, CRF450Xs, Husky TEs, WRF450s...) I ride it in places and in a manner that it was never designed to handle, but somehow, I manage to go just about anywhere I need to ride at a pace that 340lb (with gasoline, accessories and tools) should not be ridden.

My problem is that I cannot seem to get more than 5 outings out of a rear tire. I used to run D606s -- great traction, but never good for more than 6 rides.Last year, I switched to Pirelli Scorpions. Same thing. Five 80-mile rides off road and the rear tire is ready to be replaced. I'm running higher pressures (25lb) and that doesn't seem to help. These rocks just tear up the knobs...So, I am considering either going to a Michelin T63 or even a trials tire.

Any suggestions from this groupo? I'm tired of  replacing rear tires twice a season.

Thanks for your advice.

Do you really need a DOT tire?  I'm in Salida CO and ride a plated WR250 with Maxxis IT tires.  I know they're not DOT but they work well and last.  A lot of guys around here run non DOT tires.  Nobody can tell if you're moving. I got stopped once for no eye protection on a short ride in town and the cop didn't look close at the tires.  

The short answer is no...I don't absolutely have to ride on DOT tires. And I agree that very few cops are gonna read your sidewalls.

But even non-DOT tires seem to get eaten up pretty quickly. In fact, when I bought my DRZ, I had the Death Wings pulled off and replaced by a new set of Maxxis knobbies. Used them up in 5 rides.

I'm beginning to think that my riding style might be the problem, LOL.

BTW -- You live in a great area. Four Mile is one of my all-time favorite rides.

I'd try a Pirelli MT43, You might have to adjust your cornering style though. I put a MT43 on back in March and have ridden in 3 days Moab and a day in  Colorado and ride almost every weekend here and it still looks and works great. I don't ride on the road though. The most pressure I ran was 9 psi in Colorado. I usually run 4-5 psi with a UHD tube.

The short answer is no...I don't absolutely have to ride on DOT tires. And I agree that very few cops are gonna read your sidewalls.

But even non-DOT tires seem to get eaten up pretty quickly. In fact, when I bought my DRZ, I had the Death Wings pulled off and replaced by a new set of Maxxis knobbies. Used them up in 5 rides.

I'm beginning to think that my riding style might be the problem, LOL.

BTW -- You live in a great area. Four Mile is one of my all-time favorite rides.

I chewed up a set of Maxxis HT in a couple seasons.  Replaced with Maxxis IT last year and so far no knobs have come off.  

I've been here 10 years and still haven't been to Four Mile.  It'll have to wait until next year, healing from an injury.  I usually ride in the mosquitoes, Hayden  Pass, Bonanza area, Whale Mountain, Otto Mears, Marshall pass.   

I'd try a Pirelli MT43, You might have to adjust your cornering style though. I put a MT43 on back in March and have ridden in 3 days Moab and a day in  Colorado and ride almost every weekend here and it still looks and works great. I don't ride on the road though. The most pressure I ran was 9 psi in Colorado. I usually run 4-5 psi with a UHD tube.

I've run them for years. Good Colorado tire.

What PSI do you run? A huge contributer to excess tire wear is high tire pressure.....

Edit: Just read your PSI... 25? That's ridiculous! I would recommend switching to a Tubliss setup and running about half of 25 PSI... maybe around 14psi.....

Edited by originalmonk

If you want a DOT tire that will last go with the Dunlop D606 IMO I don't like them as much as the Pirelli XCHM. Here is a list I made of all the DOT knobby tires to help your search. Also keep in mind if you would get hurt on the road with out DOT tires they could not cover it. Chances of that happening are slim but not work chancing to me. 

DOT Knobby List

Weird, I run a D606 rear on the back of my 525 and I get about 1500 miles out of them.  Rocks do tear them up pretty quick.

About 3k out of the MT21 front.

:excuseme:

Has everyone over looked the the PSI the OP runs?