Oil consumption...? :(

Hi...

I just checked my oil... warmed the bike up, waited a few minutes, stood it up straight, wiped the dipstick, put it in with no threading. There is 0 oil on the dipstick. I did an oil change <1,000 miles ago and put in two full quarts of 20w-50. 

95% of my riding is street (commuting to/from work, freeway). 2006 DRZ400SM. 5700 miles. FMF full exhaust, 3x3, recent re-jetting with JD kit. 

I am pretty bummed out right now... Does this mean my bike is burning oil? It seems to be running fine, no weird noises etc. :(

I don't understand why sometimes my posts just get 0 views

I don't understand why sometimes my posts just get 0 views

I think it is related to when the system updates... 

So, how many miles on the bike?  Do you spend a lot of time riding at high rpm's ? 

I think it is related to when the system updates... 

So, how many miles on the bike?  Do you spend a lot of time riding at high rpm's ? 

5700. No, I don't think so

I have 5,900 on my 2002 DRZ400S and just noticed the same thing.  I purchased the bike several months ago and have 1,000 on the oil change I made after purchasing the bike.  The oil level was real steady for the first 500 or more miles but seemed to drop during the last 500.  I do have an hour ride to the OHV area that I do at 65mph and I tend to crash a lot while off-road.  Not sure if that matters.  I'll be interested to see if anyone has an answer.  I'm not too worried about my bike although I just noticed the drop this morning.

I bought the bike used so I don't know its full history (if this has been happening for a while or not)

I had a similar issue after a long road trip.  Oil ring was bad on the piston.  Installed new rings and holds oil like no one's business...high RPMs or low.  Are you running full-synthetic oil?  If so, you want to check the oil level soon after you shut the engine off.  It doesn't like to stick around like dino oil.

Edited by DJCDRZ

It is full synthetic

It just seems weird, there aren't that many miles on the oil change and I never smell or see anything out of the ordinary

It is full synthetic

It just seems weird, there aren't that many miles on the oil change and I never smell or see anything out of the ordinary

Me neither.  Didn't seem to smell or see any smoke on mine.  For fun, check the oil level hot, right after shutdown and see where it's at.

Am I safe running the motorcycle with the oil level potentially low?

Me neither.  Didn't seem to smell or see any smoke on mine.  For fun, check the oil level hot, right after shutdown and see where it's at.

Ok so I just checked the drain bolts to see if those were possibly leaking. I found wet oil (like a few drops) on the engine drain bolt (far bottom) and some really dirty crud around the frame drain bolt (might be just dirt + some oil?). I have never noticed a pool of oil or anything underneath my motorcycle. 

Could these be the probable cause of low oil?

Ok so I just checked the drain bolts to see if those were possibly leaking. I found wet oil (like a few drops) on the engine drain bolt (far bottom) and some really dirty crud around the frame drain bolt (might be just dirt + some oil?). I have never noticed a pool of oil or anything underneath my motorcycle. 

Could these be the probable cause of low oil?

To be as low as you describe, there would be a significant oil stain on the ground and visibly leaking if as you say you started with 2 Quarts of oil.

I would be more inclined to take the bike for at least a 15 minute ride, before checking the oil as opposed to just warming it up in the shed.

Better still, do an oil and filter change now and monitor the oil level.

I, like others here, check the oil when I get home from a ride, if there is no leaks or oil under the bike before the next ride, I know she is good to go.

I took it for a 10 minute ride before I checked it. I guess I could try again and check immediately after i shut it off. I don't want to damage anything riding with low oil though.

So... is the consensus to do an oil change and monitor it from there?

I would change the oil and just keep your eye on it. I don't check my oil every day but at least a couple times a week. At least with every tank of gas. I wouldn't worry about it too much, just don't drive it low on oil anymore.

Yea I'm gonna change it and try to measure how much comes out. Just did a 5 miles ride to get it nice and hot. There was oil on the stick when i first pulled it out to wipe off, but absolutely none when i put it back in standing up

Can I use a synthetic/petrol blend oil?

Yea I'm gonna change it and try to measure how much comes out. Just did a 5 miles ride to get it nice and hot. There was oil on the stick when i first pulled it out to wipe off, but absolutely none when i put it back in standing up

Can I use a synthetic/petrol blend oil?

You mean petroleum, a semi synthetic oil is fine.

IMHO, regular oil and filter changes are more important than a full synthetic which is recommended for longer intervals. 

I believe oil and filters are cheaper than rebuilds not to mention the inconvenience of a engine failure.

Check how much oil will come out when you'll change your oil.

You will have a better idea than the stupid dipstick ;)

Ten or more minute ride shut her down and let cool for 2 or so then pull dipstick,wipe replace dont thread bike level check should indicate

I found that the process of measuring oil level is finicky.  Running the bike for a few minutes would show no oil, yet after a longer ride it was fine.  So I only check my oil level after I've ridden the bike for a good bit (rides over 10 minutes long).  I shut the engine off, wait a few minutes, remove dipstick, wipe, stand bike straight up, insert dipstick (don't thread it in), remove and check.

I've had times where I've checked and there was no oil at all on the dipstick.  It only took about 200-300 mL of oil to register FULL on the stick.  While I'm not saying that running the engine with no oil showing on the dipstick is good, the oil level might not be that low (i.e., cause any damage).  However, definitely fill it up when you notice this or better yet before it drops that far.

I've noticed that riding on the freeway (constant high RPM, running 15/47 gears and speeds 60-70 mph) for extended periods of time leads to additional oil consumption, at least on my bike (17k miles on engine using Mobil 1 15W-50 oil).  When I go trail riding, I have to ride the freeway for about 30 miles (each way) to get to my spot.  After these rides, I notice small amounts of oil consumption... but I've only put on about 100-130 miles on the bike between oil checks.

So my final piece of advice, check the oil often (say every fuel fill up or after long freeway/highway stints).  Pour in some oil, see how much it takes for it to register full.  If you end up pouring in a quart or more then I'd say you might have a problem.  Otherwise, just monitor it in the future.  Most recommend oil changes near the 1,500 - 2,000 mile mark on these engines.  Oil consumption also tends to increase as miles accumulate on the oil and it begins to break down, lose viscosity and burn off.