GPS devices? what do you guys like to use?

do any of you guys use the Trail Tech Voyager available at rockymmountainmc or something similar? 

I have been using motionXGPS on my iphone and it works great, but I like the idea of having a device that drops more bread crumbs for greater accuracy and the trail tech seems to be able to sense several different aspects of the bikes performance. Engine temp, air temp, blah blah blah. sounds cool. 

looking for advice. 

I see you're not getting any responses.  Try posting this in the "General Discussion" sub-forum.  I know they've been discussed before.  I remember reading several threads about them.

I have a buddy that uses the Garmin Montana GPS system and loves it! Super detailed, multi displays, and runs off of bike power... Also has color touch screen. It is a little pricey though...

i was plugging some waypoints into my garmin and it had squat for detail once offroad

I fired up my smart phone and could use google maps sat view for a real time view of my movment on the latest captured image

the trailtech looks small and grayscale like it's 10 years old so other than the mounting ,map transfer and big buttons  I don't see it being my choice

I use a garmin Dakota 20 that fits in a Ram mount for a mountain bike. Color toutch screen is fairly easy to read and it works well in heavy tree cover. Lots of trees in British Columbia, so that is important.

Just got back from a ride in Colorado where several guys were using the Garmin Montana. We we trying to take back roads between Ouray, Gunnison, Crested Butte, Delta, and back to Ouray. There were several problems as the GPS didn't differentiate between dirt roads and single track. Also doesn't indicate which roads are private (locked gates) and showed paths that actually aren't there. Then there was the issue that none of the 3 had the same revision of maps so that a .gpx file from one would not work on any of the others properly. It really got to be a pain at times because we would ride for 20 - 30 minutes and then they would have to fiddle with he gps's for 30 - 45 minutes to figure out the right way. I watched them fight with the gps's the better part of 4 hours one night trying to get them to work the way they wanted. Seems like a map, compass, and an odometer would be just as efficient. However, if you rode the same trail over and over or rode a trail that someone had already marked, I could see where they would be handy.

this look's complicated?  :lol:

422076_193289954107962_1655947184_n.jpg

Don't use anything trail tech. From any of their "GPS" units to their stator kits. Its all garbage and have left many riders stranded. The features they advertise hardly ever work. Get a good garmin or lowrance GPS unit. The Garmin Montana is a great piece of equipment but pricey. I run a Garmin 76csx with a RAM mount. Its cheap and does everything I need it to do from racing baja to riding fresh single track. Do not get a gps that does turn by turn on the surface streets. It will be useless on the trails. A GPS will not have all the dirt roads or trails or single track preloaded. Its up to you to find the GPS tracks to those routes or plot them yourself by using google earth and then upload them to your GPS unit. If you don't get familiar with your GPS, you'll think its worthless. But if you play around with it and understand what a GPS actually does, you will realize how incredible and worthwhile they are.

this look's complicated?  :lol:

422076_193289954107962_1655947184_n.jpg

Thats hilarious!

Don't use anything trail tech. From any of their "GPS" units to their stator kits. Its all garbage and have left many riders stranded. The features they advertise hardly ever work. Get a good garmin or lowrance GPS unit. The Garmin Montana is a great piece of equipment but pricey. I run a Garmin 76csx with a RAM mount. Its cheap and does everything I need it to do from racing baja to riding fresh single track. Do not get a gps that does turn by turn on the surface streets. It will be useless on the trails. A GPS will not have all the dirt roads or trails or single track preloaded. Its up to you to find the GPS tracks to those routes or plot them yourself by using google earth and then upload them to your GPS unit. If you don't get familiar with your GPS, you'll think its worthless. But if you play around with it and understand what a GPS actually does, you will realize how incredible and worthwhile they are.

Good info, Thanks for the info. Sounds like everyone is saying the Garmin is the way to go. What im not real interested in doing is downloading maps and trying to find my way. What i would like to do is map a ton of the single track I do hear in Colorado and have the maps downloadable or visible for other people to view on the web so that they can get an idea of where to go when shredding Colorado. Id say i have nearly 200 miles of mapped single track on my motionXGPS app that i have uploaded into my google earth that would be awesome to share. Not to mention less than 50% of the trails are on Lat40 or NatGeo maps. And they are ALL legal. Now I know I could just share the files I have now, but im not real jazzed about the quality of tracks i have. I would like to get something a little more accurate and potentially make a coffee table book with pics and maps for people to enjoy. 

Thanks again everyone for the great advice. Sorry if this is the wrong place, I just dont really like talking to anyone else other than the yz 250 smoker clan! braap

Good info, Thanks for the info. Sounds like everyone is saying the Garmin is the way to go. What im not real interested in doing is downloading maps and trying to find my way. What i would like to do is map a ton of the single track I do hear in Colorado and have the maps downloadable or visible for other people to view on the web so that they can get an idea of where to go when shredding Colorado. Id say i have nearly 200 miles of mapped single track on my motionXGPS app that i have uploaded into my google earth that would be awesome to share. Not to mention less than 50% of the trails are on Lat40 or NatGeo maps. And they are ALL legal. Now I know I could just share the files I have now, but im not real jazzed about the quality of tracks i have. I would like to get something a little more accurate and potentially make a coffee table book with pics and maps for people to enjoy. 

Thanks again everyone for the great advice. Sorry if this is the wrong place, I just dont really like talking to anyone else other than the yz 250 smoker clan! braap

I have been running the voyager for 18 months now. If you are just looking to map the tracks you know it is great. The maps overlay onto Google earth. The only issue I have had with it is the charging.

I tried with batteries and my eline but fried a battery. Now I just pre-charge it in the garage and it will last around 7 hours.

Overall I'm happy with it.