Bad clutch cover gasket= Catastrophe

This is the result of a clutch cover gasket that started leaking coolant while riding. It is on a 2011 KTM 250sx. Genuine KTM gasket that was changed 40 hours ago has failed again. The first time I changed it was because it was leaking transmission fluid. This time it leaked out the coolant, causing the head to get extremely hot and melt a head o-ring. Which created enough void to let the combustion exit through. End result is a cylinder and head that have a hole pierced through them. Going to replace gasket with a cometic and cylinder with a 300sx kit. Kind of a bittersweet deal.

20130901_131428.jpg

20130901_131412.jpg

That sucks man, sorry to hear that. Did you get any signs something was amiss? or was it wam bam I just ruined my head and cylinder?

Running lean was the only sign. I had rode for 2 hours without anything noticeable. I knew something was up by the way it would over rev at idle but had no choice but to keep going. I was solo in some rough country. Pushing it out was not an option. I was even turning the choke on and off to try and keep it wet. Within 15 minutes it was done.

My maintenance routine I includes checking the coolant level every ride. This task may or may not've caught the problem, but likely would have given you a clue bc gaskets leaking over 40 hrs do it slowly, not all at once.

Sucks to melt ur motor, good luck on the rebuild

How does a clutch cover gasket leak coolant?

This is a inner clutch cover gasket?

Edited by originalmonk

i guess you havent taken one apart. water pump is part of the clutch housing which sends the water through into the cases. junction between cluch housing and cases is where it leaks. its hard to say a exact reason for the leak. most people dont use torq wrench or tighten in a cris cross pattern so its likely many people are under or over tightening the bolts and by not using a proper tightening pattern they  not getting even pressure on the gasket. but what ever the reason, ive had good luck with stock gasket and sealer. but even then you still need to use correct torq and proper tighteneing patern. not everyone is cut out to perform mechanical work and im certain thats where a majority of the problem is

How does a clutch cover gasket leak coolant?

This is a inner clutch cover gasket?

Origional... Its called the "clutchcase gasket" its the big case on the right.

Origional... Its called the "clutchcase gasket" its the big case on the right.

Yes, but the OP said clutch cover gasket, not clutch case or inner clutch cover gasket....

i guess you havent taken one apart. water pump is part of the clutch housing which sends the water through into the cases. junction between cluch housing and cases is where it leaks. its hard to say a exact reason for the leak. most people dont use torq wrench or tighten in a cris cross pattern so its likely many people are under or over tightening the bolts and by not using a proper tightening pattern they  not getting even pressure on the gasket. but what ever the reason, ive had good luck with stock gasket and sealer. but even then you still need to use correct torq and proper tighteneing patern. not everyone is cut out to perform mechanical work and im certain thats where a majority of the problem is

Na... Its a weakness. The pressure of coolant the complexity of the gasket, the thinness of the casing at the front... It all adds up to a weakness.

You cant blame peoples skills when the origional goes (sometimes very quickly)

i dont see a weakness in the design. if anything its probly the gasket. but with sealer mine been fine almost a year

so im getting ready to change out my gasket to the cometic one . is there any specail tools i would need or anything to watch out for.

No. Its easy. The toughest part is cleaning the old one.