Main Wiring Harness Problems ( electricians needed )

IF YOU HAVE ANY IDEAS PLEASE HELP  :cry:

this thread is a continuation of another titled " when over on a wheelie "

I went over on a wheelie and long story short, the main wiring harness on the bike overheated in some spots, melted and blew the fuse. I purchased a used harness from eBay. the seller has 100% positive feedback. the harness is supposed to fit my 2009 DRZ 400SM. 

FYI: I have contacted the seller and am waiting for a response.

before I get started I will tell you the things I have gotten to work with my new harness

1)break light with front and rear break

2)blinkers front and back

3) fan override switch

4) Ignition

5) most of lights on instrument panel

IMG_20130907_211410_249.jpg

this one has nothing to plug into any more. it comes from the instrument pannel

IMG_20130907_211354_405.jpg

this is the plug that goes to the blinkers, horn, and headlight switch. I didn't check the horn because the plug didn't reach at the time, but the blinkers work and the headlight does not.

I had to remove the connector from my original harness and put the wires from the purchased harness into it so I can plug it In. all the colors of the wires matched up on this one so it wasn't hard to get them in the correct hole of the connector. at least I think the colors were supposed to match up. not sure because of the headlight though. 

IMG_20130907_211328_488.jpg

this plug goes to the start button/kill switch

The plug on the purchased harness was different for this. most of the colors of the wires are different too. I took the connector off of the purchased harness and I am in the process of figuring out which wires go were into the female connector ( the side that the kill switch and start button are connected to).

I have 3 wires ( out of 7)  that I think are in the correct place, more info on that under the last picture 

IMG_20130907_211308_127.jpg

This is something new. these 2 plugs are on the purchased harness. Neither of them were originally on the bike. they are meant to be plug into each other. I plug them in to each other and have the 3 wires plug in that I mentioned in the previous picture. when those 4  wires are plugged in and I turn on the ignition the bike turns over by itself instantly. if I left the ignition on the starter would keep going. I tried doing this with the kill switch on and it still turns over.

Im lost and don't know what to do next.

I really don't want to take the bike to a dealer and pay for the service. 

HEEELLP!!!

Pic 1, unused.  It is for a Suzuki accessory switch for trip meter reset

Pic 2, Head light power - There is a single connector orange wire that plugs into a yellow with white trace wire to power the headlight.  Yes all the wire colors match in the plug

Pic 3,  This is where your problems are,

Pic 4,  Yellow with green trace wire is for the starter.  Yellow with green trace wires plug together. 

S and SM models use the same wire harness starting with the introduction of the SM. An older S harness is a little different mostly in the right handlebar switch.  The SM turns the headlight off when the start button is pushed.  An older S does not.  The only advise I can give is get some local help and use a volt/ohm meter to trace wire functions.

Old harness to old style switch is as follows: (harness to switch )

Orange to Orange ----- Power.  All orange wires are hot with key ON.

Gray to Orange ---------Gray is for taillight

Orange/black to Orange---------Orange/black goes to instruments

Orange to Orange/yellow--------Orange/yellow is power to start button and kill button

Orange/white to Orange/white-----------Orange/white is power to CDI

White/black to Black---------White/black is for brake light

Pic 1, unused.  It is for a Suzuki accessory switch for trip meter reset

Pic 2, Head light power - There is a single connector orange wire that plugs into a yellow with white trace wire to power the headlight.  Yes all the wire colors match in the plug

Pic 3,  This is where your problems are,

Pic 4,  Yellow with green trace wire is for the starter.  Yellow with green trace wires plug together. 

S and SM models use the same wire harness starting with the introduction of the SM. An older S harness is a little different mostly in the right handlebar switch.  The SM turns the headlight off when the start button is pushed.  An older S does not.  The only advise I can give is get some local help and use a volt/ohm meter to trace wire functions.

Old harness to old style switch is as follows: (harness to switch )

Orange to Orange ----- Power.  All orange wires are hot with key ON.

Gray to Orange ---------Gray is for taillight

Orange/black to Orange---------Orange/black goes to instruments

Orange to Orange/yellow--------Orange/yellow is power to start button and kill button

Orange/white to Orange/white-----------Orange/white is power to CDI

White/black to Black---------White/black is for brake light

YOU HAVE SAVED THE DAY!!!!! :applause:  man I should send you a thank you gift! 

Tail light works now

brake light with both levers works

start button works

kill switch works

blinkers work

horn works

fan override works

ONE PROBLEM THOUGH.

My headlight still wont come on. I guess I don't know if the bulb went out in the crash or not? could it do that? :confused:  

there is still a yellow/white wire coming from the right side controls ( in the connector I was having issues with) that doesn't have a wire to plug into it from the new harness. there are only 6 wires on the purchased harness that go to that plug and my original one had 7.   

any ideas?

Edited by glock27supermoto

Lightbulbs are sensitive creatures...

Test it and measure power to the headlight.

now Im lost.

the bulb looks good. not burnt up on either of the filaments. it makes me think it has to do with the slight difference in the wires. the left side controls and right side controls on the original had 7 wires and the purchased one has 6 on both sides. then the 2 that I mentioned before ( pic #4 ) that are for the starter that werent on the original harness.

I just want to take the whole thing off and send it back to the seller. :foul:  Im getting sick of fu$%^ around :banghead:

Edited by glock27supermoto

everything is good. I figured it out. :thumbsup:

the bike is completely assembled, washed and running great. now I just need to make that 12 oclock bar. Ill post pics when I'm done with that. :ride:

thank you guys for all your help, :applause:

signit98   and  Noble

I greatly appreciate it and would be lost without you.

ok. I took her for a ride and she sounds different. cant put my finger on how it sounds different but it dose. no heat issues on case cover, oil looks and smells fine, radiator isn't to hot, I know for a fact that I didn't acquire any fluid leaks during the accident engine sounds the same ( little noisy like all DRZs). the clutch almost feels different.

I hate to say it but the engin almost feels............. tighter :confused: I guess that is the best way I can describe it. maybe I should just change the oil and see how she runs after that. 

I dont know. if your bike falls on the road form looping a wheelie and then slides down the road about 20 Yards can that do any kind of damage that would make the engine sound different?

I figured out why the bike souds different.

the original tailight and blinker set up put the blinker right behind my MRD exst. the exst was louder with that set up. now that i have the Edge tailight with the blinker relocators on it, the blinkers are comlpetly out of the way of the exst.

the exst ist as " poppy" sounding now

Out of curiosity how much did it cost all up since the loop?